Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bunny Breakfast  (Read 4184 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Bunny Breakfast
« on: September 23, 2014, 11:14:46 am »
Two young litters of unrelated NZW's about to be separated into age/sex groups

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Bunny Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:57:54 pm »
So cute - just don't tell my son they're going to end up as Bunny Dinner, he'd have a fit!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:23:38 am »
These ones are safe, they'll all be breeding stock  :thumbsup:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 07:51:30 pm »
My husband asks if you have a lot of magicians down your way?  :D

I explained that they were for eating!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »
They are really sweet.  :love:

I'd have to keep them all as pets though. We have a house rabbit .... it would be a bit like eating the 'dog' for us.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 04:13:02 pm »
These ones are safe, they'll all be breeding stock  :thumbsup:

how many are you breeding! I have thought about it but know I wouldnt be able to do it which is a shame as I like rabbit.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 04:48:41 pm »
I'm planning to have two bucks, 5 breeding does and always have a few in reserve.

I sell quite a few breeding pairs/trios and at the moment all they young ones are selling as pets  :thumbsup:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:11:52 am »
7 weeks before Easter was the time I moved over from growing meat to growing for the pet trade at Easter .  This is the time when I took off the future  breeding stock and sold the rest .

Re:- your different buck ..

I know it's difficult when you have just a few animals but try to find at least seven generations of separation in the stock lines .. it will give you high quality stock .
If you cross in a different breed of buck you'll tend to get cross breed vigour this can often mak an outstanding result or a dismal failure .

Never take breeding stock from the doe that produces the highest number of Kits.
Go for the one which has about 8% less than her , for in nature the high producers are freaks and tend to  have growth & development weaknesses etc. in the next couple of generations plus they tend to eat more  .

This may sound daft,  but it's true , this is some of the lots of  advice I got from a guy called Roger Parkin . He used to be one of the old ministry of food officers ,mainly dealing with rabbits & farm stock for most of his career till he retired around the mid 1980's .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS