Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slimming world-advice please  (Read 9089 times)

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
slimming world-advice please
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:35:55 am »
Saw a photo of myself the other day and it's the final straw - I need to loose weight! I think it's going to have to be slimming world- I've done it before with some success and it suits the way I cook. So my question is- what's the cheapest way to get started? I can't join a group as they all happen at times of the day when I'm doing something else. It costs £60 online for 3 months but with £20 off so £40 really or should I just pay £20 for the book from eBay? I still have myold book but it's about8 years old. I guess the only thing I need a book or online ref for is syn values. There is also a phone app- has anyone used this? All advice welcome!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: slimming world-advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:43:34 am »
Hafod, I am into my 3rd week of slimming world. It suits me because we can both eat the same meals. It isn't a diet, more of health eating.
If your book is several years old you will find a lot of changes and you definitely need an update.
You probably only did red or green. Well most people now do 'extra easy' where you can eat both red and green in the same meal providing you have a 3rd of your plate as super free food.
All syn values now show red, green and extra easy.

It's a shame you can't get to class because I do think it helps but also understand that it isn't alway possible.

There have been quite a few offers around lately for reduced membership in class and online. Keep your eyes open. I got free membership in Woman magazine. If I see anything I will let you know.

There are also several good Facebook groups for support too.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 10:09:06 am »
Hi There

In the alternative healing thread under high blood pressure, there is some good advice there, I need to shift the weight as well,  also a suggestion is can you get weighed with your nurse, free and time to suit you may be?  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 10:14:29 am »
I went to our practice nurse first - I'm on steroids so thought she'd be helpful.  Nothing but negativity -
1. you're age is against you  -  yeah I'm 70 but that doesn't mean I'm dead!
2. your medication is against you - can't do nuffin about that, need help to work with it.
3. your metabolism is against you - been fat from birth - yup, but now I don't want to be fat.
4. your lifestyle is against you - yup, live on my own and can eat what i wan when i want - want to get that under control!
AND she was fat.

Stick to Slimming World - since last seeing that nurse i've lost almost a stone - put 2 lbs back on last week but that'll be off again this week.

Damned steroids!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 12:08:18 pm »
I've lost 10% of my start weight on SW and feeling much better for it. BUT... I've found that if I don't stay for group I feel less inspired and fall back into naughty habits bit by bit.
Our lady does several groups different times of day and if I can't get to wed evening, i can go to thurs morning etc etc.
The food is fantastic, I'm never hungry and I've never had such a full spice rack! so many new things and no processed rubbish anymore
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 12:27:59 pm »
AND!!!! Eggs are one of the free foods!  :excited: :excited: :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 04:58:40 pm »
AND!!!! Eggs are one of the free foods!  :excited: :excited: :excited:
and SW chips too  :excited: :excited: :excited:

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 05:19:07 pm »
Egg and chips it is then. My OH is going to do this with me and he is super competitive so should help me stay on track! Feeling motivated to get started now ( I hope the feeling lasts!). I've read about people pooling all their syns for the week and having a 'blow out' at the weekend. I'm pretty sure l was told not to do this but maybe that's changed too?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:27:09 pm »
No sorry, there is no pooling of syns. You should have somewhere between 5 and 15 syns a day. If you go over the 15 they don't guarantee a weight loss.
If you plan well then you can still have treats.
Tonights dinner is beef casserloe done in the slow cooker. I have used some sysn on Tesco slow cooker seasoning which also thickens it a bit. Thats only 1.5 syns per portion. I'm having it with new potatoes, green beans and cauliflower and followed by fresh fruit salad and yogurt. I haven't had my healthy extra a or b choice today so it leaves room for cheese on toast if I want it and also a treat bar when I am watching TV. Now that doesn't sound bad does it?

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:13:35 pm »
i wish my helen would put on a pound or two….she must of lost a stone since working in the park…
and she eats like a horse…not rubbish food, but home cooking, the woman is like a stick

anyway..i have a big tasty bacon roll to demolish  ;D any way, mine is not fat, rather relaxed muscle  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »

mine is not fat, rather relaxed muscle  ;D

:roflanim: :roflanim:

Hafod,pooling syns is called flexi-syns. It's not encouraged but our group was told that if we have something special coming up, such as a party, we can have fewer syns all week, then have extra just that once but not do this regularly. Also don't borrow syns from the following week, you're not likely to pay them back.

I've lost 1 stone 9 1/2 lbs with Slimming World. Well worth going. If you are very overweight and your GP thinks it is affecting your health, you can get three months free membership on prescription but your GP does have to arrange this.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 08:18:13 am »
Since I gave up dairy foods and cut back severely on sugar I have lost two and a half stones in 5months. This was to help and support Jim who whilst in hospital having his heart attack was also diagnosed wit type 2 diabetes. Jim has (mostly) given up sugar and cut back on dairy and has lost 2 stones.

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 10:45:32 am »
Well done devonlady and Jim  :)  I find the hardest part is staying on track and being focussed.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:53 am »
Mrs b uses slimming world when she's being good/cares about her weight, the vast array of options available make it easy for me to eat the same as her and not feel hard done by, I make up batches of vegi soup for her lunches which she loves and that's when I sneak off for bonus bacon rolls (I burn my calories at work) but it means come dinner time she still feels included as we all eat the same :-)

I'm even getting used to slimming world chips!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 11:33:21 am »
The Fakeaway book from SW is brilliant (especially if you have children - or just like takeaways!)  I'm planning 'burger in a bowl' for later with SW chips (husband prefers those to any other kind now which is good)  and if you can buy an Actifry (its on my wish list) they seem really, really good for chips. Our consultant brought hers to group and made us all chips and they were great.

Little treat swaps such as swapping red wine for rum and diet coke have helped me although I am very mindful of the sweeteners in the 'diet' drinks and do avoid it if possible.

And now as we enter into Slow cooker season, there's a vast array of dead simple but really nice and filling meals (oh I sound like I'm on commision)   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS