Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: settling in geese  (Read 2395 times)

kipper

• Joined May 2013
settling in geese
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »
I bought 2 West of England Geese yesterday and they have not settled yet .They are this years youngsters and look amazing .They are in a pen ive built for a few days until they know where they get fed and a shelter for them before i will let them free range and lock up at night.They dont seem to have eaten anything today and ive tried to temp them with apples,cabbage as well as wheat which the seller said they liked.The gander just keeps hissing at me when i go near .I also dont think they went in the shelter last night.Is this normal until they get use to there new home ? My wifes worried sick about them-lol thanks for any advice

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: settling in geese
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:03:05 pm »
Hi

My W of E love lettuce. They are imprinted on me (which helps!) but even the slightly more standoffish ones will come for lettuce. They are always shut in a stable at night as a fox can still take a goose.

Good luck!

Helen

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:56:49 am »
Shut them in for a couple of days to get them used to their new house, keep them fed and watered. Even then they will still hiss at you but will come for food.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:37:20 am »
Just out of interest, where did you get them from? West of England very unusual and lots of problems hatching this year!

I wouldn't shut them in entirely but they will never go into their shed at night without you putting them away so if you want them to be safe from foxes you must always go out and put them away rather than wait for them to find their own way in. What have you got for water? They love to paddle around and play with water so that helps them to relax to begin with and if you put the wheat in the water, they love to eat it that way. Mine love brown bread and that helps tempt them over. Hissing is not at all unusual - you'll get it all through the breeding season from the gander. Also how were they reared? My first pair came from the Chases in Wiltshire who hand rear and were incredibly tame and followed me round the garden pretty much from the outset. My second pair came from Ann Mould in Devon and were far less tame - and still are although much calmer than they were to begin with. Talk to them too - they communicate verbally a lot so they kind of get you talking to them. Just be patient and they will get better although probably never to the point of enjoying a cuddle!

H

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:54:21 am »
thanks for the comments and last night they did go in there coop when i went in the pen

The geese come from breeders in Kirkton of Glenisla who had them and Shetland geese.They advertised on gumtree and i went up to see them

I have kept them in since Saturday and this saturday plan to let them on the grass ,just hope i can get them back in the pen at night  .Can see me out in a sleeping bag in the garden if they dont -lol

In the pen i have a water tub but have a plastic pool when they get out my ducks use
thanks chris

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:58:14 am »
What a difference a wek makes with geese,They are now in and out the coop and i let them out yesterday for the first time .When it was getting dark i just used my arms and walked them straight back in the pen.I had visions of being there all night but it was easy.Happy days

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS