Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another grape training thread  (Read 2601 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Another grape training thread
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:53:34 pm »
I happened to drive past the Penarth vineyard today and from the road it looks like the main stems go to round 5+ feet before lateral branches. It just made me wonder why that high? I'm speculating that it keeps the buds above later ground frosts perhaps.. or may make it more convenient to prune while riding along on a tractor? It also looed like they only had about 4 feet max for the secondary verticals

With my own few vines I've started the laterals at 3 feet and have wires to a total 8 foot height for my verticals. On the other hand mine are dessert grapes and I only want 1 (Perhaps 2) clean bunches per vertical with a good 14+ leaves.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Another grape training thread
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:17:17 am »
Never seen them that high but still learning the various pruning techniques. Our will have two sets of laterals on both sides - Scott Henry trellis system - the lower ones have to be pulled down manually or something so it's not effective for big vineyards but maximises the fruit in smaller ones. Supposedly. Certainly I've never seen a commercial vineyard with five foot before the lateral - can you stop and ask them their pruning system next time you pass?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:09:44 pm »
I wondered about poppig in .. but it is a large commercial vineyard so hope they don;t mind a nosey asking questions...

They make their point on their website that they grow lots of varieties that are considered unsuitable for local conditions - successfully against cinventional wisdom.

If i had to guess I'd say double guyot.. but this time of year it's a 2-D bush on a stick. It may well become clear after leaf fall and tidy-up.

I suppose it also depends on what rootstock they have stuff grafted..?

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:11:30 pm »
pop in and ask…they may tell you. or suggest booking a tour ..which is also good

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:34:45 pm »
Last time phoned Penarth, they weren't doing tours. Powys County Council have refused planning permission for Penarth to trade on site so they have to sell their wine in town and that means there's nobody about to show round.... Mind you - it may be a different matter in the winter.

Very short sighted of PCC in my view but then - why break the habit of a lifetime?!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS