Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In a slight panic - pericarditis  (Read 2052 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
In a slight panic - pericarditis
« on: September 22, 2014, 11:47:02 am »
I sent Danielle, a 10 month gilt to slaughter.  The report on her came back that she had pericarditis! 

Googling says this can be viral or genetic and there are lots of other types.  It also says it can cause heart pain.

Danielle was with my breeding sow Joan (of Arc).  Joan seems fine.... but she also can't tell me if anything is wrong.

Has anyone had experience of pericarditis.... and what do I do next?

Absolutely clueless as to whether a vet is needed for Joan.....

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: In a slight panic - pericarditis
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:53:59 pm »
My notes on this include the following :

Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardium. It is one of the frequent conditions found in swine at slaughter. The agents causing pericarditis include viruses, mycoplasma, bacteria, fungi and other microorganisms. It is a common complication of enzootic pneumonia due to secondary invasion with E. coli.

Pericarditis can occur secondary to heart infections, systemic infections, or result from metastases of neoplasms arising in remote sites. In swine, fibrinous pericarditis is associated with hog cholera, erysipelas and Glasser's disease. Inflammation of pericardium is also observed in pasteurellosis, porcine enzootic pneumonia and streptococcal infection in suckling pigs. Primary pericarditis occurs rarely and is of viral origin.

So given that's it's common, I wouldn't particularly worry.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

Re: In a slight panic - pericarditis
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:02:39 pm »
Ha, cross posted with Oaklands  ;D
Here's the link to the document, Pericarditis is just before halfway down the page
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0756e/t0756e05.htm

Not sure if it would be worth considering vaccinating - have a quick word with your vet if you're really worried, they'll be able to advise you on risk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS