Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piggie questions....... UPDATE  (Read 8712 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Piggie questions....... UPDATE
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:39:49 am »
Advise needed......this is the story so far....

Weaned piglets then took to the boar when in season, three weeks later took her back and was served again.
Now piglets due but sow has no bag so clearly not in pig. Now we never noticed her come in season but she must have.
Borrowed a different boar yesterday to keep for a month but obviously this wasn't the right thing to do as she promptly tried to kill him!

Sow now inside and boar outside in run..?

So......will her brief encounter with him bring her in season? Haven't spoke to original boar owner but he was showing us his offspring so presume he was fertile.
Our sow has had 5/6 litters before so we know she works!

Wanted to give her one last chance before sausages.....what the best way forward?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:45:35 am by Sbom »

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Piggie questions.......
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:13:32 am »
She has, maybe, a very small litter or will bag up just before piglets are born. Be patient :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:28:38 am »
Would agree give her more time. she will not tolerate the boar near her birth time so i'd move him out PDQ. Some sows bag up 10-12 days before farrowing others 24 - 48hrs before. Some nest some don't. Some are ferocious some very quiet. Theres o two pigs or births the same.
Get her to lay down on her side with a tummy rub, let her rest and snore then lay the palm of your hand on her tummy and if she's in-pig you should feel ripples of piglets moving as she sleeps. Let her go ten days past her due date as she can have been served any time over a cycle of 5 days.
HTH
mandy :pig:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »
Thanks, would love her to be in pig but last time she had an enormous belly and udder, this time she just looks well and udder is floppy and very empty and she's due this weekend gone.

She is separate anyhow so will keep finger crossed.

Is it normal for a sow to attack a boar if she isn't in pig? She's normally very placid, even when she has piglets.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:17:42 pm »
i had a gilt who never bagged up at all until 12 hours after the piglets were born. though she did have belly.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 06:52:43 pm »
If she's not in season she'll not be very tolerant at all - wait til you see signs of her vulva swelling and try reintroducing them, should be a very different story  :innocent:
As long as you're sure she's not pregnant obviously - I did have a kunekune sow farrow a fortnight late (and it wasn't that we missed her being served - she was watched like a hawk  ;))
We also don't move sows for at least 4 weeks after service - moving them before this reduces the implantation of the embryos and makes them move likely to abort & reabsorb apparently.
What age and breed is she?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:45:04 pm »

She is a landrace x large white and has around 6 litters before but only one with us. We bought her in pig and she had 14 piglets three months later. Her belly looks big when she lies down but she won't let me touch it  :-\

I keep sneaking up on her and looking if her belly is moving..really hope she's just late developing  :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 07:51:54 pm »
Do I understand correctly that she was twice served by the boar over different cycles?  If so, is her due date for the earlier or later cycle? 

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:58:44 pm »
She was served once, came on heat again and served again, which is the date I'm going off. Due this weekend gone. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow, I'm pretty sure she's not but don't have an awful lot of experience with piggy maternity issues as she was our first breeding sow. And as she's a slightly older girl everything is more...well...relaxed...as in tummy, back end etc so harder to see whats big and what's just plain saggy!

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 03:13:15 pm »
And as she's a slightly older girl everything is more...well...relaxed...as in tummy, back end etc so harder to see whats big and what's just plain saggy!
I know the feeling well  :innocent: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Photo's would help  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 03:58:47 pm »
if i remember right i had a sow at least a week late so i was thinking she wasnt due at all. can u see her belly if you  are standing behind her?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »

She does look much bigger when lieing down but it's the lack of udder that concerns me

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Piggie questions....... Now with pics
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:51:42 pm »
i cant see in the picture but does she have an underline? - where her udder line is distinct from her belly? she does have a bit of a belly but she has had alot of litters so who knows.  ??? has she got bigger or is that her normal shape?
she has lovely legs  :yum: :yum:         :o

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 12:56:09 am »
She doesn't look in pig from these photos - certainly not due imminently.
Hope I'm wrong though  :fc: but there's no udder, doesn't look like she's got any rounding of the belly at all and her vulva looks normal  :(
Watch her for signs of coming into season and as soon as she looks ready try reintroducing the boar - she'll like him fine then  :love: :pig: :love:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 10:13:46 am »
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought  :(. I'm checking her back end so much now she's starting to get a complex!!  :fc: she comes in soon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS