Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and brambles  (Read 12638 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Goats and brambles
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:20:29 am »
The paddock that our goats are in has no trees in or overhanging branches, so I've started collecting branches every day to give them. I've seen lots of mention of them liking brambles - what about the thorns? We have blackberry bushes which I think is the same as brambles, but they are very thorny. If anyone can guide me in the right direction of exactly what to give them that would be great. So far, I know they love willow branches and apple branches. There are quite a few other trees but as I don't know what they are I'm not giving them to the goats in case it's something they shouldn't have.
Also, we gave the willow to the sheep too who also loved it - can they have all the same branches and stuff that the goats have?
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Goats and brambles
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:31:52 am »
I cut back loads of brambles for our goats and they love them! don't worry about the thorns although if they leave any stalks uneaten its not a bad idea to get rid of them incase the goats injure their feet with thorns stuck in them (nasty)
Our sheep eat them too and dried willow (if you cut back loads now and dry it off it makes great winter fodder)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:45:41 am »
thanks plumseverywhere. How do the thorns not hurt their mouths??
They all devoured the willow, they just loved it. It's made me realise that they don't have enough variety. So now I'm going to try and identify all the trees in the garden (only one tree in the field, an enormous horse chestnut) and see what they can have!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:48:27 am »
Most browsing animals have very hard mouths thorns are not a problem!

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:44:55 am »
My goats eat brambles all the time. They also have hawthorn hedges around all the fields and eat them. Two occasions 2 kids have had abscesses - vet says caused by hawthorn as no visible entry point externally.  Mind you still let them eat the hawthorn as good food source and would be impossible to stop their access

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:59 pm »
Perhaps a more helpful question would have been - what branches and weeds can't I feed to my goats?
I mentioned that the field has no trees but our garden is full of weeds and brambles and some trees although I have no idea what they are.
So if I know what I mustn't give them, that would be a good start!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 04:38:21 pm »
anything that's evergreen - with the exception of ivy in small amounts and minus its berries in winter - is suspicious, as is yew, and any of the evergreen hedging plants that grow meters every year that everybody seems to have - can't remember the name right now.... ::)

No tomato and potato, pepper, aubergine plants, but they do love chickweed, sticky willy (when nice and green), dandelion leaves and flowers in early summer, most thistles, oh and probably lots more...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
anything that's evergreen - with the exception of ivy in small amounts and minus its berries in winter - is suspicious, as is yew, and any of the evergreen hedging plants that grow meters every year that everybody seems to have - can't remember the name right now.... ::)

would it be laurel?  :) ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 08:38:22 pm »
Leylandii. We have about thirty to get rid of - mostly enormous. We also have a wood totally choked with laurel - also poisonous. Would love goats - maybe next year.

:thumbsup:
Helen

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:46 pm »
My goats also love roses. They can't get at the plants or they would but I give them prunings and any from cut flowers.

Try this site. http://www.smallholderseries.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=181:poisonous-plants17&catid=89&Itemid=193

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 09:07:31 am »
Thanks Mad Goatwoman!
That's really helpful, especially because of the photos which is great because I have no idea what trees/shrubs we have.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 11:02:12 am »
I've just been offered some buddleia and privet - are they ok?
I'm disappointed that none of our animals can eat Laurel. I may have to change my name!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »
I've just been offered some buddleia and privet - are they ok?
I'm disappointed that none of our animals can eat Laurel. I may have to change my name!

NOT privet - it's an evergreen!

And yes it is Lleylandii I was thinking of, but laurel is equally poisonous.

Buddleija should be ok, but only give a little to start with.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 11:30:13 pm »
I have a friend from where I used to live who complains every year when she is clearing her garden of brambles and old raspberry canes, that I am now too far for the goats to demolish all her trimmings. She used to bring several sackfuls round when we lived in the same town.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS