Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dolly  (Read 6714 times)

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Dolly
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 11:01:30 pm »
Think it will be cheaper than that from your vet! They will probably sell individual sachets too so you can get a couple rather than a boxful.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 11:49:44 am »
so happy to see an equine pheromone at last!  ;D  I hope it works as well as sedation for clipping etc to stop so many horses needing sedation all the time for everything!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 11:34:26 am »
I have put Dolly on Steady-Up. One of my friends has been using this on her SJ over the summer as he gets stressed at shows if he has to hang about too long.  I give it to her in the evening feed and what a difference. she now lies down overnight. She has issues about me going into her stable and can  challenge me with feet or teeth. I let her off with this for a wee while but now I go straight in using a raised voice and ask her what she is playing at. Then put on her headcaller and give her a scratch. She will now open her mouth so I can get her bridle on. I started having a piece of apple in my hand with the bit and this worked a treat. Feet problem seem to be over, no longer kicking. I have given myself 2 years to turn her into a good riding pony but I think will be more suited to a small adult as she is so strong willed. She will let me lean over her back, sometimes I give a little jump from the box on. I am too heavy to sit on her but I can bang her sides and rump and she just stands there. In the paddock she will follow me about as I am pooper picking, no nasty faces just happy to be around me. First at the gate when its time to come in. One thing that will never change I expect, do not go near her when she is eating her feed !

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 06:40:17 pm »
Sounds like you are making real progress well done you must be really pleased.  :thumbsup:
Anne

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 07:25:04 pm »
I am pleased but its a slow job.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:43 am »
Welsh ponies!! What more needs saying! So intelligent, so feisty, such little demons! Ive had a few, the last being a Section C mare that my little girl learned to ride on. When I say "learned to ride on"  I mean the HARD WAY!! At home she would drop her shoulder and tip my daughter off 3/4 times a ride. At shows she strutted her stuff every time and won everything!
One day she threw my daughter so many times that she was badly winded. I saw red Im afraid. I said " somebody get my saddle"  >:( I changed saddles on the pony and for the next half hour had the ride of my life! She was doing 2-time changes at the end ( in fairness she had been taught these years before!).
That pony was a witch but I adored her. Sadly she was only 13hh: if she'd been 15hh I wold still have her.

Keep going with your little welsh girl: it will pay off in the end in spadefuls. Have fun!
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS