Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suitable cockerel  (Read 5779 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Suitable cockerel
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 08:18:34 am »
I too had a light sussex that was evil- you took your life into your own hands going into the pen.

I've now got 3 maran cockerels that I've had since 4 wks old and they are very good natured and have produced some nice offspring crossed with my light sussex and commercial hybrid hens.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 09:00:37 am »
Brahmas and orpingtons are gentleman.
But as someone else said, they are heavy, and also eat a lot.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 11:35:37 am »
You need to work whith them when they start growing . The more time the better .

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 03:17:42 pm »
In my experience it's down to the individual bird.  I've kept or known of the following breeds with really nasty cockerels:  Lemon Cuckoo Orpington, Wyandotte, Marans, Barnevelder, Brahma .....  Our current Silver Grey Dorking cockerels are all very laid back and the Speckled Sussex is a real softie.  We have one Dorking available - whereabouts are you?

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 05:09:34 pm »
I am in Suffolk which I am guessing a is a little far from you (?) but thank you for the offer. I have been offered a six month old Brahma who I am going to give a chance. Thank you very much for all your replies, it has been an interesting thread. I am sure I am not the only one who really appreciates the humour on the forum. If feeling low I will browse the topics and always find something to make me smile, giggle and generally raise my spirits!  :thumbsup:
Heather

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:53 pm »
Yes, too far from us.  The Brahma I knew of was fine when he was young but got progressively more cantankerous with age.  "Cantankerous" is a word I don't get to use very often - I like it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS