Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suitable cockerel  (Read 5780 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
Suitable cockerel
« on: September 21, 2014, 02:34:47 pm »
Hi, a while back I had a White Sussex cockerel but I had to dispatch him as he was very aggressive. I would like to get a cockerel to run with my girls which are a very mixed bunch. The problem is that I don't have any idea what breed to go for, he needs to be a gentle breed as my neighbours have children who like to interact with my birds and I don't want them to be terrorised by an aggressive cock bird! I have heard that the Sussex breed cockerels are prone to aggressive behaviour, is this true as I currently have two Light Sussex boys (from a hatch) but am wary of letting them run free due to previous experience so am fattening them up. My girls are very free range - my neighbours have all 'banned' me from fencing them in as they love to see them around!
Heather

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Suitable cockerel
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:08:30 pm »
You must have the best neighbours ever!  :thumbsup:

I don't know much about the Light Sussex breed, though you could perhaps just wait and see if the two youngsters are the same? Maybe with a lot of handling they'll be friendly? Just in case, as that way you wouldn't have to introduce a stranger to your flock. Someone with sufficient LS experience might correct me on that, though.

We have a very placid Ixworth cockerel, aptly named Big Boy, who will easily be held. But we also had a little pekin who attacked a toddler even though he'd never tried to dominate a (bigger) human before, whilst the other pekin boy never bothered people (but the hens - oh dear, he was a very hormonal chap!).

Maybe it's a case of finding a fully mature cockerel somewhere who is known to be friendly? I have a lovely young boy who is a cross between a Welsummer and a barn hen - I'd love to find a new home for him rather than have him going in the pot but he's only a few mons old yet. He's rusty brown with a dark green tail, I just like the look of him  :love:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 03:49:31 pm »
We had entirely the opposite with our white Sussex cockerel!
we had a few up and coming cockerels, all of unknown, probably mixed breed, but despite them being a quarter to half his size, they picked on him. He was never any trouble with people, even regular visits from family friends children rounding him up and no nastiness at all. I think its a personality thing rather than a breed thing, and handling the young ones may well allow them to be nice boys unlike the previous one.
Good luck with them

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:02 pm »
Your young cockerel sounds gorgeous Eve - don't suppose you're in my area? I think my cockerels are now to old to start handling, in hind sight I wish I had given them a go early on. All my hens are friendly - it's a bit like something from Jurassic park when I go out - you know when the raptors descend on their pray  :roflanim: only much gentler I am glad to say! :roflanim: Maybe a youngster that I can handle regularly will be my best option.
Heather

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 04:20:31 pm »
I think it's in their makeup, some are nice some not so. We handled our whole hatching of 11 marans most days but  my son went in as usual to feed treats and was chased and grabbed by an angry 13week old cockerel. His 4 brothers have matured to be just as wicked.
Last year we had 3  hatched cockerels. 2 RIR were a bit feisty with each other but not too bad with people, not particularly friendly but not full on aggression like the marans. However we had a x Wyandotte cockerel hatched with the RIR and he  was an absolute gent. I wished I could have kept him, so good with the hens and no problems to handle.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »
sometimes handling can make them a bit too confident. aggression in cockerels seems to be down to luck IME and it is quite normal behaviour after all. Some breeds (RIR for example) have more of a rep than others and some say its strongly hereditary. I've never had any problems with boys I've bred from my Scots Grey cock but have just despatched one of different breeding because of this-was gutted because he was stunning but I do this for fun and don't expect to be ambushed every time I go out I gave him several chances and carried him around etc but it didn't work-he didn't even have spurs at the age but he was a big boy. Some show breeders seem to like a bit of 'feistiness' maybe because it makes them show off well.

My Marsh Daisy cockerels have all been lovely-they do crow through the night though! The worst was a cross breed cockerel I was given to keep a chick company. IMLE the more precocious (i.e. early comb development and early crowing) the more testosterone and the more likely they are to have a go. some of the bigger breeds are supposed to be nice characters-cochin for example.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:26:48 pm »
Seems like luck of the draw! Looks like a mature cockerel with a know temperament is the way to go - wise words Eve!  :thumbsup: Now just got to find one!!!
Heather

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 04:51:55 pm »
We've only ever had cochins and pekins as cockerels and with our 4 daughters there's only been one episode where one of the pekins took a fly at my eldest daughters leg and even that was half hearted after she startled him.  The large cochin boys are too huge to really run anyway  ;)  our daughters are regularly cuddling the cockerels.   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 04:59:39 pm »
Our RIRs have been a bit aggressive. Also welsummers of different strains will have a go. Our LS boy is soft as anything.  Also our araucanas are pretty soppy but I've heard they can be nasty. So probably luck of the draw.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 05:04:18 pm »
we have bred both white and light sussex and never had an aggressive cockeral - so you may have just been unlucky. try again with the new birds.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:06:44 pm »
Just been offered a Lemon Pyle Brahma cockerel, I gather the Brahma is quite a docile breed.  :excited:
Heather

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:09:40 pm »
Just bear in mind the size as well though - Brahmas are huge. I've a big lavender Orpington cockerel in with my mixed egg layers and I think it's on the edge for the Araucana who is a lot smaller than him. Soon enough he'll be treading them all and you want to make sure the smaller ones don't get physically injured by him.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 10:38:43 pm »
LF orp cockerals are are incredibly docile, we positively trip over ours. Pekins can be very feisty and cream leg bars can need a wild animal license!!
In fact the only cock I've  ever dispatched for being aggressive was a tiny pekin! He was deadly

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 07:46:34 am »
This is Donald. We've had him from day old chick. Unfortunately, he's learnt how to use the catflap, on the day this picture was taken my daughter found him half way up the stairs  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:17:22 am »
We have a RIR cockerel, bought as a grower. He is the most gentle cockerel you could wish to own. My children pick him up and cuddle no problem and he has never shown aggression to any visitor. He is utility line .... could that make some difference? .... Or maybe just been lucky.

We also have 5 pekin cockerels. All really friendly. Love attention and will sit on your lap to be petted. Know quite a few people with pekin cockerels and never heard of a problem. Just given 2 of our pekin cockerels from this year to a fellow smallholder. She loves them! Her OH fears she is going to have them in the house as pets!

Love the photo Plums.  :chook: ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS