Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Easy Way to Grow Tomatoes  (Read 3424 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Easy Way to Grow Tomatoes
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:10 am »
This year I threw away the rule book and tied in the outdoor tomatoes just twice, as they were growing, watered them for a fortnight while they established and then left them to their own devices, apart from twice spraying to prevent blight.  I didn't pinch them out, on the basis that it removes the leaves as well as fruit and plants need leaves!  I didn't water them, even during the two months we've just had with only the occasional light shower, and I didn't feed them.  The plants flopped and now form a mound about 80cm high but have produced more and better flavoured tomatoes than we've ever had before.

Didn't water  the runner beans, either, based on the supposition that a plant that's slightly stressed will rush to reproduce, and our heavy clay soil was completely saturated last Winter.  Again, a higher and better flavoured yeild than ever before.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Easy Way to Grow Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:02:57 pm »
I tried toms outdoor the first couple of years using arctic plenty.. but they were a disaster. I get x/s from the greenhouse anyway so didn;t bother outdoors this year. What variety?

this has been an exceptional growing season - for me at least- I always plant too much as if it's lean time there's still more than enough. This year the surplusses are mangificent. I finally dredged up folk to come and have some freebies - could easily have fed another 4-5 households out of this.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:32:57 pm »
Mine were mostly Sungold.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 01:46:07 pm »
I also have outdoor Sungolds left mostly to their own devices. They have been fantastic!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:53 pm »
This year I put all of mine outdoors and they haven't produced much at all  :'(
The few early producers were snatched by my boy and his friends  :rant: oh well better than filling on rubbish  :thinking:
The rest are just starting to redden now but are bursting before theynare fully ripe so the hens are having a party  :chook:

I like the sound of those sungolds you have planted. They are going on my list for next year so hopefully will follow your leads with a good crop  :fc:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »
I did the same.  Went away for a week and by the time I got back a week later all my beautiful crop had succumbed to blight :(   What do you spray with?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:03:13 pm »
Any copper sulphate based fungicide will do.  I try to do it when the plants start flowering and again about three weeks later.  Don't like spraying actual fruits I'll be eating later in the season. 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:55:55 pm »
Blight was starting in my greenhouse but I removed one diseased plant and all the affected leaves and quite a few other leaves as well to allow the air to circulate and, apart from the odd affected fruit, the plants have produced well. I am having tomatoes several times a day and my OH has gone off them. I'll have to start freezing them soon for cooking later in the year.

This year I grew Burpees Jubilee which are a rather attractive orange beefsteak type.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:09:15 am »
I never water, have tried various pruning and planting options, spray with copper sulphate and still lose them all to blight. The only ones that have fruited are the 'blight resistant' ones which are still leafless now but have managed some cherry tomatoes. I think undercover is my only option here. It can't be climate because people within five miles have amazing harvests - I just have endemic blight that I have to learn to accept.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »
Does blight on outdoor tomatoes need the same statistical weather patterns as on spuds? You can sign up free to blightwatch and get warnings of smith periods to time spraying.

Considerign I get hit with blight on the spuds every year and end up early lifting (I missed a smith period near miss - forgot to spray).. it's never hit in the greenhouse. That's botrytis territory instead.. but under control at the moment after reducing watering and dramatic clearances/prunings to aid ventiltion.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 12:50:40 pm »
It must be similar - my potatoes were next to the tomatoes this year and both went down at the same time. However, the potatoes are OK underneath because they've already formed underground (surprisingly huge in fact given it's only July when they die back) so I've still not lifted them even though the foliage has pretty much all gone. Again, Sarpo something was the only variety I tried that was officially blight resistant and they're right - they've all still got leaves on now (Pink Fir apple did surprisingly well as well - especially give it's a heritage variety). Tomatoes go before the fruit is ripe which is so depressing.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 08:08:14 pm »
I find potato blight is worse as the year progresses, so I grow earlies that go in well chitted and are therefore already out of the ground during blight season.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »
Do you know that the stalks and the leaves you are supposed to take off the plant can be potted and grow into other tomato plants? I sometimes take some leaves off the plants, but very rarely. I do mulch them though and that keeps the roots hidden from the sun, I also tie them to bamboo poles, loosely though.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS