Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deformed egg or something sinister?  (Read 6548 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Deformed egg or something sinister?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:25 am »

Well done for slicing it Heather  :thumbsup:  It's really interesting inside, with all those concentric layers.  It's like an agate - except maybe not as pretty.   Good idea to show it to your friend.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 06:32:49 am »
Pretty weird that Heather. It is essentially a 'lash', which is shed oviduct lining. But it appears to have an egg yolk and flesh in it. We have had something similar when one hen shed her entire oviduct system, but ours was a bloody mass on the outside. The flesh areas may be tumours or cysts? She has shed it for a reason, so clearly it wasn't right.

Interesting to see if she lays again? They usually do a month or so after laying a standard lash.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 11:19:16 am »

I've been puzzling over why you all use the term 'lash egg' for this fleshy thing.  After searching a bit I've discovered it's a regional usage to call an otherwise normal but shell-less egg a 'lash'.  I come from east Anglia originally, a pig and poultry farm (mainly turkeys)  so we had all sorts of eggy things going on, including what we called 'lash eggs' and it's East Anglia, specifically the Fens, where the term 'lash' is used in the way I grew up with.  Ah, language  ::)    I've no idea what term was used for the fleshy things - yuck probably  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »
Heather, I'll send the link on to the vet student, I'll let you know what he thinks. I wish I could do a vet course on just chickens!  :)

My hens are all laying so whatever caused it didn't do any long term damage.

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 08:19:51 pm »
Thanks Eve and all, for your interesting replies.  I look forward to hearing what a vet says and yes defo agree a vet course on chickens would be good.  I sometimes wonder if we just let them get on with it without worrying too much they would be okay.  I'm afraid I'm slightly obsessed and tend to think of them as my children - I like to get home to put them to bed, silly I know.  Nobody else in our household looks after our lot like I do and I am prob a little OCD about cleanliness, brushing paths and mucking out and no red mite this year I am pleased to say!
All the girls seem okay and am treating with some inter-vits at mo for a couple of days, hopefully the 'alien' deposit won't appear again!
Thanks all, again   :sunshine:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:22:41 pm by Heather B »

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 10:23:09 pm »
 I think of my hens the same as you do, so naturally you're not obsessed but perfectly normal!  ;D 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS