Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Johnes Disease - how much do you know?  (Read 6872 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Johnes Disease - how much do you know?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 09:24:25 pm »
I will stand corrected but the ELISA blood test is the most accurate at >95% but not 100% - only 100% is diagnosis at post mortem.  Titre tests can be done on vaccinated goats and the results looked at and if they are a lot higher than the others the goat is a suspect.

I would be cautious about buying from a vaccinated herd - but that is my personal opinion.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Johnes Disease - how much do you know?
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 12:55:07 am »
Does a blood test categorically identify this disease or can in not always show like CAE? I want to test a couple of ewes who are not great to rule it out but don't want to waste my time if it might give a false reading.

Also, if you have it in flock and either you cull or vaccinate, is the ground infected and what do you do when buying new stock ? Surely it means if you wanted to sell on offspring you could be spreading the condition?

I would rule out everything else first, i.e. fluke, worms etc and if they are clear then I would test for Johnes.
As for selling on stock, well that's how we ended up with it in the first place so its not an option for us. Ours go for meat anyway, we don't breed to sell. Droppings can carry the disease for up to a year so seperation is a must even though the highest transmission of the disease seems to be through faecal matter on the teats when feeding their kids.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS