Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Little spaniel in need of a very loving home- UPDATE  (Read 10060 times)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Little spaniel in need of a very loving home- UPDATE
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 10:34:15 pm »
My goodness, one minute they are going to carry on her gun dog training but they can not train her not to pee on the carpet. I ask you!
 Many years ago I got a very hyper collie from the RSPCA she was about 10 months old, she had been kept in a flat and had never be toilet trained. It took about a week to train her if that, she once got caught short and pooed in the bath, which I thought was quick thinking for a dog since she had never been in the bath.
 She also had separation anxiety which was really bad when we first got her. She was only left alone for half an hour, which was the time between my husband going to work and I got back from work on nights. In that half an hour she would chew always one shoe from  a pair, never both and once dug a neat hole through the spare bed mattress. We never thought once of sending her back.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 07:00:23 am »
My word!! If you have dogs you have piddle-proof floors surely! We have always had Rhino-floor or similar and washable rugs (one is in the washing machine as I type) Would you re- home a toddler because it had pee-d on the floor? Some people are so precious >:( >:(

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 07:02:34 am »
What a shame, poor daisy. I hope someone else is willing to take her on and show a bit more commitment.

Out of coincidence from the last few posts, I have a dog called Lola and one called belle  :dog: :dog:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 09:46:26 am »
People like that are  not true dog lovers. My Jack Russell is prone to the odd pee in the house if we do not watch him. Also had the dogs throw up now and again. that's what happens when you have pets !

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »
would you consider keeping her? She has been through so much already and seems to have found a patient, knowledgeable and caring owner in you. The vets bill wont seem so bad if you see it as investing in your own dog and the cost will soon be forgotten. This story is heart breaking but finding a the right home for an abused rescue dog and finding someone prepared to pay for a working dog may turn out to be two different things.

I took on two stray cats who arrived here 3 years ago and this year one of them cost £500 in vets fees. I dont begrudge it and they have a wonderful contented life here wanting for nothing and yet I would not have paid a rescue centre £100 each to adopt them in the first place. Equally if I had to call out the vet to treat a sick lamb I know that I wouldnt be able to pass that cost on to a future buyer. The lamb is worth the market price regardless of the investment in raising it.

I have had rescue animals for many years and they come with baggage. They need work to get them back on track. Like you I'm the kind of person who is prepared to put that time in but I wouldn't want to pay for the privilege. Any one who takes her on clearly has to do some work with her to overcome her terrible start in life so it's a special person who will take her to their hearts and refund all your costs. It may take you some time to find that person but I read an article about a young girl who raised £1000 to rescue a st Bernard from a life in a tiny cage in Eastern Europe and ship him over here. So special people do exist.

What you have done for this dog is truly wonderful and far more than many others would have done but Keeping her seems to be the best way to ensure her safety and get a return on your investment[size=78%].  I wish you both good luck in what ever you do.[/size]
[/size]

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 08:21:38 pm »
She sounds and looks an absolute sweetheart and what you have done is wonderful. cant help thinking like previous post that she's found her home !! We paid £400 for our black and white springer puppy Bear ( 13 years ago) and he has been worth every penny a hundred times over-baggage free, uncomplicated and simply perfect boy that he still is. our rescue terrier Barney was considerably cheaper (thank god) would try the patience of a saint and like many rescue dogs often needs a bit more understanding and tolerance. You didn't say that you wanted to recoup your Total expenditure but as much as I love the breed I wouldn't expect a Barney if i'd paid for a  Bear

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 12:14:10 pm »
UPDATE!
When it came to the crunch, they couldn't bear to part with her, so they have decided to get new flooring and keep her! While I was really annoyed with them and was tempted to say no, she really does have a great home there. The wife is dotty about her. The husband has been taking her out training and can see her potential. Apparently she is glued to him in the house and despite the piddling on the carpet, he has completely fallen for her.
I would love to have kept her, but it would not have been the best for her. Each of our dogs has it's own job and generally we only work one each at once. Daisy would have been a nice little beating dog, but we have others to do that job already. My fear was that she would end up at home while we're working the others and we don't currently have the time to put into her training to get her ready for the field.
Going to visit her sometime this week for a cuddle though :-)
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS