Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ducks for meat  (Read 1638 times)

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
ducks for meat
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:03:06 pm »
Is now a silly time of year to take on some ducklings to raise for meat?
We have Indian Runners for eggs...although none of them have laid yet... :-\  and I have had lots of interest from friends wanting duck meat. I have found some Muscovies locally and have read that they are good as meat ducks. Any ideas how long they may take to raise to meat weight if living free range?

Thank you! :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: ducks for meat
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:19:07 pm »
I've got white campbells and looking at about 20-25 weeks.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 01:05:26 am »
I killed one recently that was about 18 weeks - he was a silver appleyard type (type because he was white but I thought pure appleyard, freaky things going on there) which is a good meat bird and he was good but much leaner than those you'd buy in the supermarket. I think muscovies are bigger though - ducks tend to be faster growing that chickens to begin with but then end up smaller. I always look at them at about 8 weeks and reckon they're nearly full grown but if you pick them up they're not solid yet.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:44:39 am »
I would go for Aylesbury or Rouen

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:59:53 am »
indian runner drakes are very tasty.
why not get some turkeys for now as now is the time to buy 6 week poults. finish by xmas.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:56:09 pm »
Where do you get six week turkey poults from? I'm in the market for done but don't know where to look...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:13:32 pm »
a farm close to us gets them in bulk and sells them on / finishes them. they are about £7 each and white female hybrids. im pretty sure is a nationwide breeder but not sure who. they arent kelly bronze but kelly bronze would possibly sell youngsters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS