Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing  (Read 3440 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Fencing
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:18:10 pm »
How long do you expect professional fencing to last?
i spent alot of money on it when we moved here but after 10 yrs it has fallen down and strainers rotten through and snapped, yet the original fencing that came with the farm hasnt budged an inch. 
another big section of my boundary has fallen down and definitely not from horses leaning as it has fallen inwards. how long is fencing expected to be ok from an agricultural fencing contractor?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Fencing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 06:32:31 pm »
strainers i don't know but modern stabs are 5/7 years in this climate...

old fence posts were often chestnut or oak' and will last forever...

old strainers were like old sleepers treated with creosote and tar, modern strainers aren't allowed this unfortunately...

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 06:36:28 pm »
Depends how good the posts are. Some modern posts are not good. Many are only lasting 12 to 15 years. 10 years is on the lower end of their lifespan.

I select my own posts and after tantalising dip them in barrels of creosote. You can now buy creosoted posts

http://www.fenceandforget.co.uk

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:37:29 pm »
Depends on how wet an area and the ground , have machine rounded /treated posts and strainers  that are rotten after 8yrs and old larch creosote dipped posts that are solid after 40 yrs

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:31:54 am »
There was a bad time in the early 2000's when some really poor posts were produced. Some of ours lasted less than 5 years. On the flip side we've still got some square oak posts which were put in just before WW2.

I think they are generally better these days but unfortunately we as a country seem to have lost our enthusiasm for long term coppicing and woodland management so don't have a supply of oak or sweet chestnut with which to make proper fencing.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:07:15 pm »
the land where iv just lost a line of 14 posts in one go ie overnight, wasnt wet but the posts are rotten through from ground level so they just all snapped on the same day with the weight of the fence/wire, which is now lying horizontally. some posts are rotten on the top too.
about 40% of the fence is rotten after 10 yrs. it cost a small fortune at the time so i expected it to last 20 odd years at least. there was a huge waiting list for fencing back then as everyone - except me - seemed to be fencing for free under some grant or other.
the new posts we got from harbros have guarantee at all.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »
Take a look at the McVeigh Parker website, they can supply a metal post system which looks very impressive and in comparison to wooden posts are cost effective, they have I believe a 30 year guarantee, I have just been quoted £3000.00 plus vat for 190 metres of wooden post and stock fence, the metal posts and stock fence are about £700 for the same distance but of course no labour as I shall do it myself.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 05:46:21 pm »
3000 is criminal should be between 5 and 8 pounds a metre including the vat for supply and install

unless access is absolutely awful!!!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 12:49:27 pm »
Indeed. With standard posts it should be about £2/ m for materials with 2 strands of barbed and probably £5-£7/m for labour depending. The metal stuff looks interesting though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS