Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP - injured foot  (Read 1742 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
HELP - injured foot
« on: September 18, 2014, 01:31:22 pm »
My favourite hen has injured a toe  a few days ago, I think one of the nasties gave her a bite when she hopped up the steps...it was bleeding a lot. I sprayed with purple spray and put a plaster on overnight. She seemed to do fine with it but now she started limping. It looks like the scale has ruptured or maybe broke on impact in the first instance. I put bitumen cream on against any infecion but it doesn't look better this morning.
Any suggestions much appreciated!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: HELP - injured foot
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:56:53 pm »
My sister caught one of my chookies toes in our back door. The skin lifted and it bled for ages, l cleaned it with salt water and poured antiseptic powder all over her foot and kept her in my 'poorly chook ' cage in the utility room till it healed up dry then let her back out. The powder works quick and stops any infection.Cant remember if l got it from the vet or Pets at home ? :chook:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:01:02 pm »
What you've done, except I would have used wound powder as Kelly58 said.
Keep an eye on it. Is she eating and behaving normally or standing about looking sad? I wouldn't be hugely worried about a short term limp provided she's still behaving normally.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:44:44 pm »
She's eating but with less enthusiasm than usual but is eating some. Walking must hurt badly so I'm keeping her in the hospital wing, also to separate her and the others. It looks like that injured scale has split lenghtwise and that there is swelling bettween the segments. I've checked opening times for the vet, I have no idea where else to get wound powder around here...I just have human antiseptic cream and Bitumen cream in the cabinet, in the poultry cupboard I have purple spray.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »
You should be able to get wound powder from a country store in the equine department  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS