Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adventurous pig  (Read 2588 times)

emmamus

• Joined Jul 2014
Adventurous pig
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:46:48 am »
I collected my three OSB weaners yesterday and I've been having some problems with one of them. My pigs are (supposed to be) in an electric fenced section of a large fenced field. Two of my pigs are behaving beautifully and have tried out the electric fence a couple of times and now are staying away, rooting within their pen and looking as thought they are having a good time (complete with Belfast sink for anyone who remembers my previous thread).

Unfortunately pig number 3 is a bit more adventurous. I put him in the electric fenced area first and he was out between the wires in under a minute. He has since broken back in through the wire and back out again a couple of times.

Is there anything you can suggest to make him more likely to stay in the electric fencing? I have adjusted the wires so they are closer together, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Do I give him a couple of days to get used to living here, or do I just need to go and get some fencing wire if I want to keep him in?

In some ways it doesn't matter if he is in the bigger field, but I am planning to plant some trees in November, so I don't want him to eat them! I also want them all to get used to me and being handled, which is obviously harder in a big area.

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Adventurous pig
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:02:58 pm »
What's the strength of the electric fence? Probably needs more uummppph to keep him in, also just pour some water over him, if he's wet it will be much more painful escaping. However now he also knows that there is something worth getting shocked for on the other side...

emmamus

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:17:19 pm »
The fence is battery operated, so I don't think it can give it more oomph.
I'll try the water thing (and it is supposed to rain this weekend), but I have to get him back inside the fence first...

I'm a bit concerned that he just thinks it is so much more fun outside the fence that there is nothing I can do to contain him. Day 2 seems a bit soon to be setting up such bad habits.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:05 pm »
I think battery is not strong enough. Not sure what you would do though, ours were always on mains wired electric fencing.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:33:46 pm »
Once they know they can get out it's almost impossible to keep them in (ask me how I know  ::))
Normally I say to folk to have a solid barrier on the other side of the fence, so that when they get that first shock they go backwards, away from it.
I'm not sure you'll ever get him contained by electric now (unless you go for a stronger zap or stock wire)  :thinking:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »
I only once had this problem when we had either forgotten to turn on power or battery was flat. Some pigs are smart enough to work out the pulsing and will just go for it. Not sure if some sort of metal collar would boost the tingle but presumably if water doesn't work this wouldn't either. What wire are you using? Is it solid wire or poly wire?

If he only goes out in the same place can you make a second fence a foot or so away so he gets a second zap? It's going to be a long time until slaughter!!  :roflanim:

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:59:07 pm »
Not sure if, two days later, you've resolved problem.... but we had this problem earlier this year with our two GOS weaners.... After much research (TAS included) it seems that pigs' natural inclination, upon the shock, is to run forwards (out of penned area), so some time is well spent training pigs to run backwards, away from the wire, and so staying in their penned area....  We have a similar set up to yours, ie wire encloses a good area, but that area is within a larger fenced field, so not the end of the world if they break free.  But still, it's a nuisance...

We went to the bother of putting some hurdles around their ark, making a small pen, about 4 large hurdles each side, and set up an electrified tape just inside.  This gave them a visual cue, and also meant that when shocked they could only go backwards, away from the wire.  Kept this in place for two days.  Felt very sorry for pigs having limited space for those two days, but it was still better than the stable they'd left, and better long term.  Once the hurdles (and inner tape) removed, they barely challenged the wire, with occasional squeals, and both of them always running backwards....  Would never do it differently now...
Water treatment sounds a bit harsh....  good luck

emmamus

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 10:11:43 am »
Thanks everyone. I put the wires closer together and put up a couple of physical barriers where he had been getting out. He's been inside for about 4 days now, so I'm hopeful that's where he's staying.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS