Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polled Dorsets For Sale East Sussex - Advice  (Read 2034 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Polled Dorsets For Sale East Sussex - Advice
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:26:59 am »
Hello there,

We have 4 Poll Dorset Ewes that we cannot breed with this year and need to be sold (downsizing stock due to being able to manage them.) As a very small smallholder, limited access to trailers etc I wonder what everyone thought would be the best way to move these ewes on. I was told to send them to abattoir when the lambs go but these are lovely ewes who have produced some great lambs and that seems a shame.

Thanks all
Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Polled Dorsets For Sale East Sussex - Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:34:49 am »
Depends what age. It's worth advertising on here, Facebook smallholding sales, preloved, farming ads... I find them all good. Good luck

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:05:20 am »
Why can you not breed from them? If there's nothing wrong and you need them gone soon put them in the next breeding sale at your local market, if they are not suitable to breed from straight to abattoir is probably better.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:18:17 am »
Try Tilehurst Farm at Forest Row.  If they can't take them, they might know someone who will :fc:

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:10:36 am »
Thanks everyone.

I've 2 who have each produced 4 successful sets of twins and then 2 who are 2 years younger and have produced 2 successful sets of twins each!

We are downsizing and changing the focus of our smallholding hence why we don't want to breed from them again. Too good for abattoir though!

M
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS