Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! My 7 week old Bobwhite quail are pecking each other to death!  (Read 4757 times)

mgarifo87

• Joined Sep 2014
I am fairly new to owning bobwhites and my first group of 26 are fully mature and I have no issues! I now have a second group of 82 bobwhites that are 7 weeks old in a separate 8 x 12 foot building and last week they started pecking each other to death! I have lost 4 in 5 days! 2 had their top beaks missing and the other 2 had leg wounds ???? I bought a product today that looks kind of like a suet cake that is supposed to distract and prevent pecking that gets hung up in the pens, I have them hung so I'm just hoping it works but in the mean time I have my father in law picking up some blue lights instead of the red that I have and also a spray called blue coat but if anyone has anymore suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have also read that pecking and canibalism (sp) can be a genetic thing rather than a learned behavior I'm not sure if this is true or not but in any case we will not be ordering from the Hatchery I bought them from anymore! My first 26 I received from a family friend who raises and breeds his own so I will just continue to buy from him instead as I have had a 100% life rate on those and only a 76% life rate on the ones I bought from the "reputable" hatchery ????

Space should not be an issue due to the fact that they only require 1 square foot per bird and at this time they have about 1.3 square feet per bird! My pens are 96 square feet and I have only 82 left! From the day I received them to now I have lost almost 30 birds! Most due to pecking and the rest were in the first few days from the stress of shipping ???? if anyone has anymore advice my ears are open!!! Thank you very much!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Help! My 7 week old Bobwhite quail are pecking each other to death!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:21:39 am »
Shockingly, at seven weeks they are sexually mature! The males will fight to the death and aren't too gentle with the females either. If they are big enough the only thing to do is to kill all the males  for eating and leave the girls to lay as they will very soon. You may want to keep a pen of one male and, say four or five females to keep things going. Hope this helps. Sylvia

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Help! My 7 week old Bobwhite quail are pecking each other to death!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:41:22 am »
I see your comment about blue light - have a friend who rears game, says to keep light levels low to stop this behaviour in pheasants and partridge.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS