Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stolen plums!!  (Read 8936 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Stolen plums!!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:59 pm »
:thumbsup: :excited:
  :idea: Independence will fix everything?
 Very Exciting times  :thumbsup:

I'd love to discuss this but I don't want to get banned :stir: .

Back to stolen plums :innocent: .  A bit of scrumping is one thing but wholesale theft if out of order >:( .  At least your friend got one basketful, the wasps had all mine ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 08:38:15 pm »
I didn't want to make a (political) statement at all, just was puzzled as to the answer...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 10:33:56 pm »
I think someone has been at my plums/apples too - I am not SURE any have gone, but the gate was tied up completely differently - I just hope that is someone has been in, the reason they didn't take many was that they got a HUGE fright at the sudden appearance of Large Black pigs hoping for an ear scratch - the sows would look quite intimidating if you weren't expecting them!

:roflanim: :roflanim:

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 09:52:54 am »
I recently found one of our more distant neighbours helping himself to the blackberries off our road frontage hedge (just before we were going to do so) so I stuck my head over the hedge and asked him (politely) how he was getting on, and after a short conversation he duly disappeared. Still niggled by it a few days later I took him up a bag of damsons from our tree, just to make a point, and he promptly repaid me with a carrier bag full of carrots, parsnips, and swedes plus a pound of tomatoes out of his veg patch! Needless to say we parted on friendly terms.

Now I'm not renowned for being particularly diplomatic at times but I wish I'd thought of that before  ;D  Wonder if that'll work for the referendum?

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 11:58:46 am »
 :sofa:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 11:24:30 am »
no they haven't... I'm still here  ;)

( sorry to hear about your plums Roxy... the sheep and bad weather stole all of ours this year - 70 odd plum trees and we had not one, no plum wine -  :raining:  )
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:56 pm »
 ;D Oh Plums ....shame all yours have gone.  Everyone here seems to have plums in abundance  (except the trees that were robbed that is).  Will have to call you No Plums now ......

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 09:52:09 pm »
;D Oh Plums ....shame all yours have gone.  Everyone here seems to have plums in abundance  (except the trees that were robbed that is).  Will have to call you No Plums now ......

:roflanim: :roflanim:

Mine did well even if the main branch did snap. Lots in the freezer now.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 12:12:36 pm »
I had a carefully espaliered and neat apple tree in my fenced garden in south london.. and some tow-rags climbed in and took all the apples the night before i was going to pick them.

Again I wouldn't have minded one or two being scrumped but the lot was plain theft. here I;ve got everyhtig in abundance so if folk want to come blackberrying etc then I have no objection. But then we're so out of the way it probably won't happen.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 12:44:44 am »
Sorry your apples went.  Most people would not dream of going into the supermarket and walking out with a bag of apples, without paying.  So why do they think they can help themselves to what is obviously someone's fruit.  Do they think that as its a garden it is ok?!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 11:28:16 pm »
My DIL helped herself to an apple from my tree and, although I obviously don't begrudge her an apple, I was a bit peeved that she didn't ask. Anyone else and I'd have been furious.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 08:39:01 am »
Nothing is safe, in the past we have had veg stolen. Now have the plot up by the house so not easy to get to. I often used to think when the odd cabbage or some potatoes were taken that the person must be desperate but to take all the plums that's just mean.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:05 am »
We went to view an empty house (owner away so being shown round by the agent) and whilst there someone we knew wandered into the garden to check the cherries to see if they were ripe. When we looked at her in a surprised manner she said "I'm not a thief, just a local." This is an English woman living in France, so perhaps fruit theft is a national pastime? When we were in England theft was commonplace, usually attributed to the neighbours. Unfortunately you can't lock vegetables and fruit trees away at night!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS