Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New(small)flock  (Read 7241 times)

Rusal

• Joined Sep 2014
New(small)flock
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:09:36 pm »
We've got about two acres of pasture that we think we'd like to keep sheep on. We're in mid wales, not far from Llandysul, and looking around their seems to be quite a mixture of sheep about locally. As newbs what would be a good breed to start off with.

We've been told that we could easily keep up to 6 sheep on the land, fairly level and good grass. but I'm not sure if we should just have a couple of ewes and breed from them. A local farmer has 14 Texels on the land at the moment, to keep the grass down, but there's only been a pair of Kuni Kuni's and a couple of geese on the land for the last 8 years.

Any suggestions?

Russ and Sally

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: New(small)flock
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:13:23 pm »
What do you like the look of?

Perhaps visit some sales just to look and chat, there's the sheep fair at Llandovery at the end of the month.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 10:19:10 pm »
The Llandovery sheep sale on 28th of Sept is only for coloured sheep. I am hopefully selling 2 Coloured Ryeland ram lambs there. Last year there was some very nice sheep there.
Definitely worth a look as there will be quite a number of different breeds there.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:35:16 am »
We have a variety of sheep here, all brought locally; my favourites at the Poll Dorsets but dad likes Beulah Speckle Faces. We also have Welsh Blacks, Welsh Whites and a Badger Face.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:01:49 am »
Sally's idea of going to the Sheep Festival in Llandovery and visiting the market to see different breeds is a good idea.  If you have only room for a few then remember breeding from just 2 requires a ram (so 3) and within 2 years you could have too many.... but you could rent some more  :innocent:.

You are very welcome to visit here to see Llanwenogs (bit like Shaun the sheep)  and ask any questions.

Linda (in Talley)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:27:42 am »
Hi yes there are loads to choose from, everyone keeps what works for them or they like the look of, my advice is just go for something you warm to. We keep Lleyn and Charmoise not far from you which you could see. Most people with only a few sheep go for rare breedy types to add a little more interest but if you want to see the most average looking white sheep in the world you can come and see the Lleyn!

In your area are GF Dartmoors, a very nice flock of Cotswolds, a few Teeswaters, Gotlands, Llanwenogs if you were feeling local etc etc 

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:32:27 am »
I am local and have Ryelands and Coloured Ryelands. Love my  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:07 am »
Ryelands, Coloured Ryelands!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:02:48 pm »
You could start out by putting a toe in the water and buying stores, taking them on to slaughter weight and then selling them at market.  This is a cheap option to find out if you like keeping sheep and not involving too much money.  Don't forget you'll need drinkers, hurdles, wormer, drench gun, foot shears, dagging shears, Tim Tynes book on sheep keeping ...... 

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:02 pm »
You could start out by putting a toe in the water and buying stores, taking them on to slaughter weight and then selling them at market.  This is a cheap option to find out if you like keeping sheep and not involving too much money.  Don't forget you'll need drinkers, hurdles, wormer, drench gun, foot shears, dagging shears, Tim Tynes book on sheep keeping ......

This is a great piece of advice
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 03:57:25 pm »

You are very welcome to visit here to see Llanwenogs (bit like Shaun the sheep)  and ask any questions.

Linda (in Talley)

I always assumed Shaun the sheep was a Suffolk, so I had to go and have a look at a pic of Llanwenogs and compare them with my Shaun the Sheep backpack ( ::)) - You're right - he's a Llanwenog  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 04:17:29 pm »
The advice to buy stores, finish them and take them to market, is ok. . . . . and I understand where it comes from.

BUT, with the current store price vs finished price, and how it's set to look for the near future, you may well invest a bit of money in sheep, quite a lot in gear, and then (especially if you dont have an 'eye' for judging if a sheep is finished) end up getting a crap price in market and being very much in the red.

If it was me, i'd figure out what you like and buy yourself a small group of ewe lambs, and maybe a couple of weathers, you can do with them the same as stores, but when ready, put the two weathers in your freezer, however they turn out, and will also have a batch of yearling ewes to start your flock with.

Just seems to me, if you are going to spend a winter caring for and learning about sheep, you'd be better ending up with a small breeding flock and meat in your freezer, than meat in your freezer and a hole in your pocket!

Rusal

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 05:35:07 pm »
Thanks for the ideas and advice. May well go to Llandovery to view some sheep. It's been on the to do list for some time. I quite like the look of some of the black faced sheep around here.

Looks like there is some reading to do in the meantime.

Russ

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 06:49:21 pm »
Russ, if you go to Llandovery look me up. I will either be with my 2 Coloured ryeland lambs or in the tent spinning.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:17 pm »
Hi Russ & sally,

Rather depends on what you've got in mind for your sheep:- if they're pets/lawnmowers and maybe the odd lamb for the freezer then I would go for something  nice to look at and primitive with fewer of the problems of commercial sheep IMHO and by all accounts taste better than commercial breeds (Shetlands would be my choice for e.g.). If you want something with nice wool then there are breeds for that (shetland again would suit); on the other hand you might want a docile breed if you're beginning and don't have a lot of hurdles, etc (Ryland are supposed to be docile IIRC?); or if you want a financial return (won't say profit, but maybe make enough to minimise your losses) then a commercial breed would suit.

As you may have guessed I've had shetlands and I do like them a lot; I'm currently trying Easycare: don't need to be sheared, less susceptible to flystrike, bred in Anglesey so suit Welsh climate - in theory, and ought to sell OK at market, if required, unlike small shetlands. but they are fairly big heavy sheep to handle and they eat like horses c.f. the shetlands). Still haven't decided if I like the breed or not...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS