Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advise re breeding  (Read 2598 times)

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Advise re breeding
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:53:44 pm »
Have a couple of Boar x Alpines would like to breed
Had them over 18 months now (2 years old) have own shelter share 4 acres with a couple of horses
Live Notts / Yorkshire border Near Worksop  anyone got a billy we could use not sure what breed to use? any advise appreciated

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Advise re breeding
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:11:32 pm »
Depending what you are wanting the Kids for, If you are wanting them for Meat/breeding for future meat  I would go for a Pure Boer Buck. that way the kids will be 75% Boer . if you are hoping to milk kids once they are adults you will be better off going down the Dairy Route to make the Kids 75% Dairy.
There is quite a few BBGS members in Yorkshire so take a look on the members list of the BBGS website
Graham

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:23:32 pm »
Depending what you are wanting the Kids for, If you are wanting them for Meat/breeding for future meat  I would go for a Pure Boer Buck. that way the kids will be 75% Boer . if you are hoping to milk kids once they are adults you will be better off going down the Dairy Route to make the Kids 75% Dairy.
There is quite a few BBGS members in Yorkshire so take a look on the members list of the BBGS website
Hi
Thninking of going the Boar route going to get a few registered does and a buck i think.
If i were to use the alpinex boars with registered Boar that makes kids 75% how do i get them to registered status

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:52:46 pm »
Are your Girls registered as 50% Boer ? If so you would need to use a registered 100% Boer Buck on them then the female  Kids would be eligible to be registered as 75%. If your girls are not registered the female Kids could only be registered as 50%.
Only 100% males can be registered so any male kids would not be able to be registered
Graham

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:59:35 pm »
Are your Girls registered as 50% Boer ? If so you would need to use a registered 100% Boer Buck on them then the female  Kids would be eligible to be registered as 75%. If your girls are not registered the female Kids could only be registered as 50%.
Only 100% males can be registered so any male kids would not be able to be registered
Thanks
My two girls were bought before things moved along so not registered at all
But got the chance off really well breed registered buck couple of 100% does
also a couple of 75% does.
Ideally i would like to go down the road of full 100% herd in time

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS