Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First timers in Ceredigion  (Read 5446 times)

Rusal

• Joined Sep 2014
First timers in Ceredigion
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:29:33 am »
Hi everyone,
We have recently moved to Wales and have a smallholding near Llandysul with about three acres of good pastureland. We have some fenced off and are using it for vegetables, chickens and erecting a polytunnel. The rest is well fenced reasonably level and a local farmer currently has some sheep on it.
We are considering what livestock to keep ourselves and whether to start now or start in the spring next year. We both have experience of looking after animals.
We are only looking to keep what we are able to utilise for ourselves be it fleece, milk, meat etc.
Any ideas  and local knowledge welcomed.

Russ and Sally

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: First timers in Ceredigion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:29:03 pm »
Hi and welcome.

As you are pretty close to the Carmarthenshire border you'll find that there are quite a lot of us based in the Carmarthen, Llandeilo, Lampeter area. We even have the occasional social meet up as well. I'm sure some of them Bionic, Back in wellies and MAB (just some from memory) will be along soon.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 05:47:32 pm »
 :wave: hello and welcome, from a couple of allotments near Durham

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:49:26 pm »
 :wave:  Yes as Henchard predicted I've 'come along soon' to say Hi  from Talley.   

Probably time we got together again Henchard?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:59:04 pm »
I'm another one from Talley and also another Sally.

We have 2.5 acres here so just have a few sheep, chickens and ducks. We have had a couple of sets of weaners to grow for food and will get 2 more In the spring.

Welcome to the forum  :wave:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rusal

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 07:18:42 pm »
Hi all,

Yes we are just in Ceredigion but do spend most of our time, so it seems, in Carmarthenshire. We would just like to have a few animals, for meat, but we also fancy having a go at all things rural.

The husbandry side of things seems, relatively, straightforward we were just wondering whether to go as broad as we can with animals etc to keep us occupied through the year.

Russ and Sally

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 07:49:57 pm »
Hi from Me, we must be close by, we are in Saron on the Carmarthenshire side of the border.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 07:52:23 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:12:37 am »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. Yours is a beautiful area. We had a holiday there in July and loved it. It was actually Dyfed but not far from Carmarthen.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 07:57:32 am »
Hello from Devon :wave:

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 06:46:21 pm »
hello & welcome from the scottish borders I am a wannabee... :wave:

u25wales.com

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 01:30:57 am »
Hi everyone,
We have recently moved to Wales and have a smallholding near Llandysul with about three acres of good pastureland. We have some fenced off and are using it for vegetables, chickens and erecting a polytunnel. The rest is well fenced reasonably level and a local farmer currently has some sheep on it.
We are considering what livestock to keep ourselves and whether to start now or start in the spring next year. We both have experience of looking after animals.
We are only looking to keep what we are able to utilise for ourselves be it fleece, milk, meat etc.
Any ideas  and local knowledge welcomed.

Russ and Sally
hi russ and sally, welcome!
I am based in drefach felindre near wool museum. I make bio fertiliser organics, animal bedding, and always around to help locals with organic options.  If you want i can try and connect you with others locally.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 07:37:01 am »
Welcome from Powys. As far as sheep breeds are concerned, my advice would be to get a local Welsh breed that is bred to do well in the "special" Welsh environment. We have Welsh mountain Badger-faced sheep and they do very well on our rather poor pasture. Not the most fantastic fleece in the world ...but workable. Not the biggest, meatiest sheep in the world..... but plenty enough for our consumption.

You will learn a lot on this forum
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 08:09:34 am »
Hello from Machynlleth.  I've got Shetlands and they do very well on my hilly land.  Easy lambing, good mothers, very tame and easy to handle, lovely wool.  Haven't had the meat yet, first ram lamb going to the freezer soon.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:26:41 am »
Hello from West Yorkshire from another newbie to the forums (and small holding!).  :wave: Just moved up from South Wales - lovely part of the world.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS