Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 2209 times)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Help!
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:08:07 pm »
Injected some piglets with iron yesterday, most done in the neck, some done in the leg at the start. All seemed fine yesterday, but today one has a really swollen leg, and bum, and is very quiet. What has gone wrong? What can I do? I'm going to try to bottle feed it as its not feeding, but I think it won't make it. Feel so so so terrible. Any advice?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:05:35 pm »
Always good to get such helpful advice  :-[

The piglet died.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 08:25:44 pm »
Sorry your piglet has died.  Only just seen this post.  I would advise if you are concerned in the future and don't get a response on a forum to phone a vet!!!!

Was the leg swollen where it had been injected?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:28:05 pm by RaisinHall Tamworths »

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:59:13 pm »
I fully understand, and the vet would have been out this morning, if it had made it.

The whole back end was swollen, all I can think was that it had got an infection when it was injected.

Poor wee thing.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:32:24 pm »
Sounds like it may have  :(. Might not have been anything you could have done for it if it went downhill so quick

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:07:05 pm »
Not an expert in the pig field but when you give an IM injection you have to withdraw plunger on syringe a little to make sure it's not in a blood vessel, this could have caused the problem you describe. I am, of course, willing to be corrected

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:49:47 am »
Not an expert in the pig field but when you give an IM injection you have to withdraw plunger on syringe a little to make sure it's not in a blood vessel, this could have caused the problem you describe. I am, of course, willing to be corrected

You're quite correct  ;D

Sorry about the poor piggy. Sometimes it's just not meant to be  :pig:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:12:22 am »
I too have only just seen this post and echo the views expressed by others above.  Our pigs are in big concrete sties and runs and we put a shovelfull of soil into the sty near the infra red lamp, and keep it topped up for the first couple of weeks, and leave the pigelts to help themselves.  Our clay soil is high in iron and we use it from fresh molehills, which means it's come from underground and doesn't have rotting vegetation or stones in it.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:31:14 pm »
So sorry about your piglet - I always worry about injecting any of my animals for fear of getting it wrong somehow.  And as to people not replying to your post - just unfortunate no one on the forum at the time you asked who could help.  People on here are very good, and always try and offer advice if they can, even if its just to say ring a vet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS