Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waiting for farrowing  (Read 3939 times)

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
Waiting for farrowing
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:43:19 pm »
Our two saddleback sows were estimated by the breeder we bought them from to be due to farrow on April 8 and 16. Nothing has happened yet.

They are obviously heavily in-pig. The smaller of the two is like a black and white beachball with a head and tail at either end and the other's teats are dropping further by the day. There's no milk in the teats yet or any other sign that farrowing is imminent.  The breeder reckons he got his dates wrong and they clearly weren't served on the day he saw/thought the boar was doing the business.

I'm not concerned as they are obviously happy, eating plenty, sleeping soundly and giving me a hard time as usual. Everyone tells me nature will take its course and I'm sure it will, but I was wondering if there is a point where I should get worried.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Waiting for farrowing
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:17:57 pm »
No! They will come when they come. 

Our Potbelly got so big with her litter that we litterally had to confine her because she was so big and heavy and round we thought she would explode and with her shape, her nipples were dragging on the ground bless her.

Just keep them comfortable and nature will take its course.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:07:28 am »
Any news yet?

Fingers still crossed for you

Carole

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 07:31:04 pm »
We now think they were served on their next cycle which means, I think, Kim (three-and-a-half-years-old, been there, done it, got the pig-shaped T-shirt) is due on Tuesday. Molly (sweeter, quieter and now unbelieveably round) is due a week later.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Regular updates and pix on my blog www.the-edge-of-nowhere.blogspot.com - said he, shamelessly drumming up readership for his blog.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS