Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please..why are crows destroying my grassland?  (Read 8336 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Help please..why are crows destroying my grassland?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 09:01:03 pm »
That's what my fields look like after I've run a harrow over them. 
Surely they are just dragging up all the thatch and dead stuff?  I don't like the look of those chafer grubs though , must go and look them up :-\ .  We have leatherjackets on our heavy, wet clay - could do with a few crows maybe ;D

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 10:02:49 pm »
Hmm, I think it will be prohibitively expensive to treat even the bad areas so will just have to hope the Winter sorts it out as others have said. Thanks for all your help  :eyelashes:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 08:43:07 am »
If you have so many crows they are probably rooks. MY dad taught us the old rule.....If you see a flock of crows they're rooks. If you see a rook on it's own it's a crow. Either way they are doing you a good turn, clearing your pasture of maggots. All will resolve itself over the winter.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 03:27:31 pm »
The chaffers come in different types. some with a 12 month life cycle some 3-4 years. You will need to harrow and reseed the area or the fine soil will offer a home to the adult females next year. If you spray the whole pasture now with Cyren or a similar product you will kill them all within about 24 hours. If you leave them they will continue to destroy the grass and then burrow deeper under ground to over winter. The cold wont kill them and the ones that emerge next year will be looking for a nice sandy spot to lay next years eggs. Killing them now will reduce the numbers visiting you next year.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 05:31:38 am »
Does sound like the crows are doing you a favour, even if it is unsightly for a while
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 09:07:18 am »
This was on gardeners question time, consensus was leave them too it. -they should stop in cold weather.

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 06:40:32 pm »
thanks all, going to leave and see what happens. We thought it was badgers 3/4 years ago when it happened, perhaps it was crows on the lifecycle someone suggested  :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS