Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir in west Scotland  (Read 2299 times)

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
Abattoir in west Scotland
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:10:55 pm »
Hope someone can help..... I have 5 lambs which I've brought on from bottles. They are for the freezer, and while I can just about cope with sending them off, I would like to make the whole process as unstressful as possible. With this in mind can anyone recommend an abattoir. I live near Ayr, and don't mind travelling a bit. The butcher recommended John Scott's in Paisley.
Has anyone had any experience of using them??
As you can guess I'm new to all this. These will be my first attempt at growing my own food, lol.
Would appreciate thoughts or suggestions......

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
Re: Abattoir in west Scotland
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 08:51:37 am »
Not heard of them but the one at dornock, near gretna has a good reputation.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »
Not used Paisley as they don't do pigs  ;) but I would recommend Shotts abattoir - we use them all the time and they are fab! Explain to the girls in the office it's your first time and they'll keep you right.
Good luck

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:20:24 pm »
Hi Karen, its Kerrie. I'll check with them whether they can deliver the carcasses to my butcher. Would probably be best to use one that will do pigs too, for next year.

We have ordered our weaners for the spring. Decided to go with the OSB after all. Cant wait for them to get here.

:)

Hopefully see you at the small holder show at Lanark, I'm planning on popping down......

Cheers

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:03:39 pm »
Ah hello Kerrie  ;D didn't twig who it was!

I'm not sure about delivering - there used to be a meat wholesaler next door who would do chilled deliveries but it had closed last I heard (may have been taken over and reopened by now though?)

Great news about the pigs  :thumbsup: Hopefully see you at Lanark  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS