Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sore on back of hoof  (Read 5180 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Sore on back of hoof
« on: September 11, 2014, 10:33:31 am »
One of my ewes has a swollen sore area on the back of her back hoof, on the soft part in-between the 2 'black things' (sorry, don't know what they're called!) and her hoof. I've tried to attach a photo but I don't think it's worked. To be honest I don't know how long she's had it, because she's not lame - I only saw it when she was lying down. She's had it for at least 2 weeks now, the first week after seeing it, I contacted my vet who gave me an antibiotic injection - engemycin and I sprayed it daily with Animedizon (blue spray) but it wasn't improving, so yesterday I got the vet in. He really wasn't sure what it was - but he gave her a very strong antibiotic Micotil and some Metacam and said keep on with the daily blue spray. One problem is that she is turning round and itching it, consequently any scabs that are forming get 'itched off' and she gets a blue mouth from the spray! I wonderd if anyone had come across anything similar and had any ideas how to stop her from itching it so that it has a chance to get better hopefully?
Thank you   
4 pet sheep

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Sore on back of hoof
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:54:27 am »
Some form of mite??

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 01:14:06 pm »
It is most likely some form of mites, possibly with a subsequent infection. Or a cut/thorn that got infected, but then she would probably be quite lame on it by now.

Heel mange mites are common at this time of year, never had it in my sheep. In goats it is treated with Eprinex pour-on, I am sure there is also an injectable for it.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:22:59 pm »
Thank you for these comments. I've looked up heel mites and on one site I found, it said dip feet in epson salt solution, but didn't give any quantities - does anyone know the quantities to mix up ?
Thank you
4 pet sheep

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:40:53 am »
I would give her a spot on dose too.  I can't find a recipe for the foot wash, but Epsom salts are pretty gentle , perhaps a cup full for say five litres, if easier use little buckets and do feet individually if you can't get her to stand in a tray. 

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 05:04:48 pm »
Thank s Hellybee -I'll give it a try!
4 pet sheep

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:09:50 pm »
Noromectin jabs will kill any internal or external parasites but do the whole flock. Sudacreme is good for relieving the itching and assists healing. Also keeps flies off.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:28:21 pm »
Thanks for that Buffy! The vet says it could be Strawberry foot rot and has prescribed another antibiotic - DRAXXIN - as it's not getting any better. I want to try to stop her from itching it, you say SUDACREME is good for stopping itching, I'll try that. Would you put Sudacreme on first then spray with the antibiotic blue spray?  Thanks!
4 pet sheep

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:47:36 am »
Thanks for that Buffy! The vet says it could be Strawberry foot rot and has prescribed another antibiotic - DRAXXIN - as it's not getting any better. I want to try to stop her from itching it, you say SUDACREME is good for stopping itching, I'll try that. Would you put Sudacreme on first then spray with the antibiotic blue spray?  Thanks!

No sudocreme last, after blue spray has dried. Has your vet tested for mites? If AB's don't help then I would definitely treat for mites - Eprinex.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »
Thanks for your advice Anke! Done her today, looked slightly better I think  :fc:  - bathed foot in an iodine solution, dried, sprayed with blue spray, let it dry then applied Sudocreme. So see what tomorrow brings!  :fc:
4 pet sheep

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 08:59:44 am »
Let us know if it heals up.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 10:24:58 am »
Thanks for asking Buffy! The swollen/sore part is looking slightly less swollen, still a little bit sore in parts, but at least it's not getting any worse! I'm spraying her daily with antibiotic spray and applying Sudacreme, then washing it every couple of days with water and iodine. I'm going to give it another week I think to give all the antibiotics she's had, plenty of time to work. She's still itching it a bit, but not so bad. Wondered about putting a sock on it - but I think she'd have that off in no time! 
4 pet sheep

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:45:46 am »
sounds like its getting better slowly. wet grass wont help I suppose but the less it itches the more it will get chance to heal. I also use a yellow ointment that I got from the vet which is for flystrike and horse cuts. You put it on with a brush like furniture wax and it keeps flies off, encourages healing and stops the wound from drying and cracking. Hope it heals soon.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:46:58 am »
If you've had dewy morns I bet that hasn't helped, glad she's a bit more comfortable x

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 11:25:46 am »
Thanks Buffy and Hellybee for being interested in her progress! Still about the same, not so itchy which is giving it time to heal a bit I hope.

Buffy, do you know what the cream is called?  Is it Summer fly cream - because I've got some of that.

Thanks

4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS