Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how do you tell where the garden ends?  (Read 2690 times)

undergruntled

• Joined Feb 2014
how do you tell where the garden ends?
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:27:57 am »
Hello, we will soon be moving into a bungalow with three and a half acres.  It is nearly all at the back and is very run down.  There is a sort of back garden but it's not that clear where one ends and the other begins.  How do you define which is garden as the plans of the property don't show a division?  I am interested because it is easier to build things in a garden under permitted development than to build them in a field.  I am thinking of the wooden stables I will need for my horse..  :innocent:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: how do you tell where the garden ends?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:55:02 am »
I would just put up a fence where it suits you best.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:06:34 pm »
I think the permitted development rules in a 'garden' specify how far the building can be from the house. So if you can put the stable close enough to the house within the permitted size, height etc rules you shouldn't need to define where the 'garden' ends, not sure there is any definition of 'garden' anyway (except that is has to be around/near the house, perhaps?)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 06:09:46 pm »
I suspect this depends on a mix of how it looks in the land reg docs and then how it looks on site and how it relates to any outbuildings, fecing, tree lines and so forth.

I asked the planning officer for advice and ended up with a visit whereupon for this property he pointed out my predecessors changes and tree palntings which were over the 10yr rule and happily volunteered that i now had an extended curtilage that I coud now legaly plaster with outbuildings, greenhouses etc to cover 50% (I think) of the 3+ acres extended curtilage subject to the rules re heights and closeness to boundaries etc. And he kindly sent that in writing afterwards. All at no charge too - they seemd quite pleased that someone was asking rather than just submitting stuff

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 02:03:41 pm »
our garden boundary was drawn on our plans but wasnt very accurate in reality as the septic tanks etc are in a different place.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 09:02:27 pm »
Def. go for the bigger garden :innocent:

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:11:34 pm »
We asked the planners for advice on an issue....biggest mistake of our lives.....pay some money and go to a planning consultant.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS