Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making money out of pigs?  (Read 3057 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Making money out of pigs?
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:07:13 pm »

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Making money out of pigs?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:22:22 am »
No mention of any pigs in that program. I suspect they buy all their meat in from wherever is cheapest.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:14:42 am »
I was just thinking the same, Hughsey., I was waiting to see what breed of pigs they kept and how they were kept. I have eaten Debbie and Andrew's sausages when we had none of our own and found them excellent but always assumed that they came from their own pigs.
Couldn't we all do with an Alex Polizzi in our lives!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:24:20 am »
i know, i posted it before watching so title not the best, ha.
but interesting for those who do sell sausages/pork.
there was a glimpse of a large black (?) at one point...but not a mention of anything porcine at all.
their website says they are farmers but as they only use shoulder meat they must be buying it in - either that or they are missing a big marketing chance.

www.heckfood.co.uk

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:05:04 pm »
It was qite an interesting watch. It's definitely re affirmed my own thoughts about supermarkets. I don't quite understand why they are so keen to get into bed with the big stores when they clearly aren't making any money out of the deal. And their product will never really be as good as a sausage you buy from the bloke who has actually made it, by hand. I know they are a small business by definition but they're using mass production techniques which don't really do it for me.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:57:16 pm »
I've always favoured the toe-in-the-water approach myself.  They looked far too well-groomed to keep the pigs themselves. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS