Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly pig - advice please  (Read 3729 times)

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
Poorly pig - advice please
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:31 am »
Last week, my deaf pig (12weeks old) got the squits and has had grey liquidy poo since. I thought it may have been something he ate as they live out in a woodland, but it hasnt cleared up. He was eating the same feed as the others and they are all fine. A couple of days ago he started to lose condition and become much more lethargic. As he is deaf, he does tend to spend time sleeping in the ark when the others are up and about because he doesnt hear them get up but this morning he didnt want to get up even when I woke him and didnt eat his breakfast.

So, in short - grey liquid poo (no bloody or mucus), lethargic and loosing condition (his spine is prominant).
They were wormed before they were weaned but I gave them all a dose of panacur yesterday incase it is worms and he was missed out of the original dosing. Any ideas?

I am worried that he may become dehydrated - can I give him anything to help like you can give electrolytes to humans?

Many thanks for your comments in advance - am waiting to hear back from my vet too.....

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Re: Poorly pig - advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:38:19 am »
Last week, my deaf pig (12weeks old) got the squits and has had grey liquidy poo since. I thought it may have been something he ate as they live out in a woodland, but it hasnt cleared up. He was eating the same feed as the others and they are all fine. A couple of days ago he started to lose condition and become much more lethargic. As he is deaf, he does tend to spend time sleeping in the ark when the others are up and about because he doesnt hear them get up but this morning he didnt want to get up even when I woke him and didnt eat his breakfast.

So, in short - grey liquid poo (no bloody or mucus), lethargic and loosing condition (his spine is prominant).
They were wormed before they were weaned but I gave them all a dose of panacur yesterday incase it is worms and he was missed out of the original dosing. Any ideas?

I am worried that he may become dehydrated - can I give him anything to help like you can give electrolytes to humans?

Many thanks for your comments in advance - am waiting to hear back from my vet too.....

Could be scours, your vet will prescibe a grey chalk type powder for it. He needs monitoring incase of it being contagious. Speak to vet immediately, many piglets loose their lives to scours and other things like this. Good luck  :thumbsup:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:30:05 am »
Grey scours can also be enzootic pneumonia so watch for any of the others going down with it. Vet usually presecribes Tylan in their water. If you're worried about him dehydrtaing make up some calf electrolytes and syringe them down his throat. Don't give him cows milk it'll make him worse. Hope the little chap is ok  :hug:
HTH
Mandy

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:06:09 pm »
Vets have given me Noroclav an electrolytes. Poor boy is not a happy one. Anyone used Noroclav for pigs before? I have used it for my dog previously! 

Liam_86

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:19:18 pm »
What have you been feeding them? We had a similar problem and is was traced back to the feed....Farmgate.

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:35:25 pm »
Liam, I dont think it is a problem with the feed as the others are all fine.

Liam_86

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:43:47 pm »
I had 8 weaners and 2 of them died from the fungus in the corn in farmgate feeds. All of the pigs were eating the same feed but 2 died, i was gutted.

Dont want to worry you, hope yours are recover

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 09:00:23 pm »
Always smell the feed when you open a new sack.  If it's been bagged in humid weather (like we have now) it may smell musty.  I've known of it causing infertility in sows (not mine, fortunately).

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:50:21 pm »
Pig still going! :excited:
He has had 2 sachets of electrolytes and noroclav tablets.
He seems to be picking up - eating everything but the feed still though so feeding grass, blackberries, potatoes and apples. Not sure if he is just being fussy now because we pampered him?! Nuts all smell fine and the others tucking in and fine. He was a greedy pig though so maybe he scoffed it all too quickly and it caused some gut disruption?

Keep your fingers crossed though please!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 04:51:05 pm »
 :fc:  bekka
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 05:14:25 pm »
 :fc:
Anne

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
Re: Poorly pig
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 02:16:06 pm »
A little update on my little deaf pig for all of you very helpful people out there...
He is still going!
His poo went from grey to liquid with undigested pellets. He is a scoffer so I think he ate the pellets too quickly and he has a slightly messed up digestion system - in that the pellets went through too quickly without being digested - making him ill.
So - have started to feed 6 times a day (we are lucky because they live on site with us) and fingers crossedstill - he is back to eating again.

Perhaps he had a dodgy digestive system and because they are only weaners - it may have been too soon to go onto 3 meals a day?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 12:28:57 am »
Add some apple cider vinegar to his water - he should drink that.  Its good for the digestion - for everything not just pigs.  Hope he recovers ok.  When my pig was off colour, she did not eat for days ....but I kept offering her little treats, and finally she decided to eat a banana.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 05:08:47 pm »
Would feel cautious about feeding potatoes. Too much fruit and roughage for a young pig could lead to an impacted gut.  You could try mixing a little molasses or treacle into the weaner nuts - pigs have a very sweet tooth.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS