Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: officially a small holder!!!  (Read 6411 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
officially a small holder!!!
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:54:22 pm »
forget owning/renting land or livestock...

today i got my first properly purple hand!!!

it must now be official!!!

what other smallholding rites of passage do i need to accumulate?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: officially a small holder!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:57:44 pm »
 :roflanim:

Constantly smelling of sheep even when bathed and changed

Never having clean fingernails ditto

Always having stains of one colour or another, or several, on fingers and clothing.  At lambing time we all look like chain smokers with our iodine-stained fingers  :D

Good thread - looking forward to reading other contributions  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:06:21 pm »
When you've been upended in the mud by your animals or lost a wellie in it  ;)
Accidentally worming yourself  :innocent:
Making sure there's always plenty of feed in for your stock.....but forgetting your own cupboards  ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:13:11 pm »
Removal of bra in the evening only to find lots of hay fall out.  (bloomer, i expect you won't experience this one)
Always feeling self concious that you may smell of goat/sheep/chicken and then becoming paranoid everytime you speak to others at school gates/shops etc
And then there's the baler twine 'belt' , 'braces' and various other fashion trends it may assist with..
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:12:35 pm »
Always feeling self concious that you may smell of goat/sheep/chicken and then becoming paranoid everytime you speak to others at school gates/shops etc

Knowing you do smell of goat/sheep/chicken and not giving a toss  :farmer:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »
Being completely incomfortable in any kind of shoes other than wellies or maybe walking boots...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »
Being completely incomfortable in any kind of shoes other than wellies or maybe walking boots...

Not owning any kind of shoes other than wellies and walking boots...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:41:27 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: brilliant thread

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »
Removing the dog collar, baling twine and clothes pegs that were used at various stages of the day to ineffectively hold back  my hair and that have accumulated in there,...
Being in the supermarket and realising that I am dirtier and scruffier than my 11 year old son....
Putting a meal in front of my family knowing that all the meat, vegetables, herbs and fruit in the whole meal came from OUR land and OUR hard work... :sunshine:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:50:34 pm by Coeur de Chene »

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:07:35 pm »
Getting a slightly crushed foot cos your favourite cow got too close to get the carrots.

OK, the toenail will probably again, but it wasn't her fault - she just loves her carrots and I just didn't get out of the way...

OR

Getting a welly full of 'shud' - the official term for a mixture of mud and, shall I say, more basic stuff originating from a cow's backside.

OR

Walking through knee high snow carrying buckets of water cos the shed trough has frozen and the coos need a drink. Note, if you carry buckets of water through knee high snow 1) you have to do an impression of a Pythonesque silly walk, and 2) you have to carry the buckets above the snow and that is sooo painful after the first 20 yards or so.

Sue

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:52:55 pm »
Picking up and carrying random pieces of binder twine because you know they will come in handy

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 11:41:46 pm »
Getting back out of bed because you've remembered (just as you were falling asleep) that you haven't put the sugar beet in soak for the morning.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 08:31:19 am »
How odd that you don't mind walking around the shops with muddy, pig smelling trousers as long as you are wearing wellies!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 10:12:03 am »
Getting funny looks from the people in the garage after your cars MOT, your car being full of hay, mud, baler twine and the odd stray pig nut from when the dogs ripped the bag open. I Also get funny looks with the dagging shears, ear taggers and castraters etc being kept in the car.. and and the aroma of stinky wellies and water proofs.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:58 am »
my cars in for mot today and at the last minute i did remember to take the chainsaw and fencing buckets out of the back!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS