Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: botrytis .. again  (Read 2222 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
botrytis .. again
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:55:49 am »
so this is he third year here.. and each year about early mid-sept I've been hit in the greenhouse. First year I ripped everything out at once, jeyes the heck out of the house and soil and had it empty until the next season.

Last yer I just pulled the affected plants and hung on to extend the season before jeyes-ing - but only managed en extra 2 weeks or so.

Hit again this year and i'll pull out anythng affected. I've been on the lookout 'cos i intended to spray at first sign ..was clear 2 days ago and today bad enough tht if you move an affected tomato plant a small cloud of spores rises from the one or two affected leaf axils.

I'm just wondering if next year I should start a second batch of toms later on and use growbags in my citrus house (citrus is outdoors until mid-oct) on the theory that younger plants might be more resistant. And also rip out the big greenhouse towards end aug before it hits and find a different crop to go in that botryitis doesn't hit much - suggestions on that appreciated.

The irritating thing is that it's just now that the sweet peppers and aubergines are cropping well and they will be hit too.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: botrytis .. again
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 01:00:50 pm »
Ooh - I sympathise with you. We had botrytis one year and never had a problem since we stopped surface watering.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:10:12 pm »
..mosr irritating was the first year when I passed by a neighbour - in october- with a tiny greenhouse jammed full of toms so a  person couldn't move ..and with the insides of all his glass dripping in condensation and no window open

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:43:53 pm »
Now that is irritating.

I've got blight in my greenhouse. Keep removing the affected leaves in the hope that it won't spread before I've had a decent crop.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:32:06 pm »
The recent warmer drier spell has given me some respite. I pulled the two affected tom vines carefully, waited a few days for any spores to be well steeled, cut back on watering and then pruned everything heavily to get even more ventilation. At the moment it's staying clear but I expect it back as colder wetter autumn returns.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 12:30:15 am »
Infuriating after all the hard work. I seem to have saved my tomatoes so it hadn't spread much. I'm getting some lovely huge tomatoes now. I also have four peppers in there but still tiny and with no more than buds so I think I'll lose them.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:27:18 am »
I've had a good half a bucket of peppers already from just 4 plants with several still left to keep them fresh. Lots of aubergines harvested but whether we'll get any more after my severe prune is another matter - just some blossom left. Still getting a collander full of tom every other day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS