Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Questions about scour  (Read 2184 times)

crimson

• Joined Apr 2014
Questions about scour
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:57:32 pm »
1) What exactly causes it?
2) How can you properly prevent it, 9 ( i know about the pour on stuff but what else)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Questions about scour
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:05:02 am »
Are you talking scour in young calves?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

crimson

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 04:18:54 pm »
Are you talking scour in young calves?
young calves and cows.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:43:10 am »
There's a condition called scour which young calves get.  However all cattle get runny poo, it's quite normal!

Diarrhoea in adult cattle is not normally called scour.  If it's really diarrhoea, not just runny poo, the animal will become dehydrated and the skin will 'tent' if you pinch it.  In adult cattle, diarrhoea may be due to stress making them susceptible to the same organisms than can cause scour in calves, or to worms, fluke or some metabolic imbalance, or could be Johnes disease or BVD.

Calves may get runny poo for a variety of reasons, from very watery through flakey, sometimes bloodstained, and in a variety of colours.  Sometimes it's overindulgence - Mum's overproducing and calfie doesn't know when to stop sucking - sometimes it's an infective agent. 

If the calf is bright, active and alert, has no temperature, is keen to suckle, but has runny poo, I wouldn't worry.  If it is lethargic, not keen to suckle, has a temperature, and/or is dehydrated, then it may need treatment.  First thing is to rehydrate, for which PSF or Rehydion are the usual remedies.  If it has a temperature then antibiotics may be required, but some scours may be caused by viruses and so are not affected by antibiotics.

Are these calves suckling their mothers, or on a bucket, or what?  I could write a lot of information which isn't relevant; it would help if you could be more specific.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:03:00 am »
Our cows' poo is almost liquid in summer and sometimes fairly bright greaan - I guess this is normal when they are on rich fresh grass. This stuff can be propelled significant distances, as I know from experience  ;D

As Sally says, loose poo isn't the same as scour.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:30:39 pm »
I don't have cows, but our grass has had a growth flush, and although not long, is green.  Our goats have had loose droppings, and the vet said its likely to be the grass.  I have upped their hay ration, and kept them off the grass a bit to try and sort it.  They seem bright enough - eating well, and not looking ill.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS