Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angora Goats?  (Read 3309 times)

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
Angora Goats?
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:48:52 pm »
I've been looking into Angora's and wondered if anyone could give any first hand experience of them. How hard are their coats to keep? Can you shear/clip them yourself? Are they ok for a first time goat keeper?  Etc.

Also, on my search around the net I have seen 'Pygora' goats, they are a cross between Pygmies and Angoras, anyone had any experience with these? (I like Pygmies as well so 2 birds with one stone and all that  ;) )
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Angora Goats?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:42:23 pm »
I have about 25 angoras.  I have been keeping them for a year now. No harder to keep than any other goat but they do need clipping every 6 months.  In summer you need to keep an eye out for fly strike. We have been using crovect for treatment for lice and for prevention of fly strike.  Also you need to get hands on regularly to monitor bodily condition as it is hard to judge under all the hair.  We have just started clipping ourselves. We have used a shearer in the past but this is uneconomic to continue.  You could probably buy some hand clippers as the shears are expensive.  They are prone to stress oedema (google it) after periods of stress; weaning, transport, clipping etc - some lines more so than others.

Regarding pygoras I would say this is a bit like cockerpoos and labradoodles - someone has just crossed an angora with a pygmy and wants to add value to it - in reality its coat will be of very little value and you will still need to shear the goat so my answer would be get some wether angoras if just for pets as their coat retains a relative value and eat pygoras!

Hope this helps - there are some angora breeders in Wales if there aren't many breeders in Ireland - search British Angora Goat Society. I have some for sale but fear I am too far away in Yorkshire!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:44:09 pm »
I had 3 Angoras but they have gone to live with friends now.  No harder than any other goat, but their feet were the problem - recurrent scald.  If you have wet land and have had scald previously be prepared for problems.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:31:02 pm »
We do have wet land so that might be an issue  :-\

Other options are Alpacas and Llamas. Just want something I can have a play with the fibre with really.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 05:51:01 pm »
We do have wet land so that might be an issue  :-\

Other options are Alpacas and Llamas. Just want something I can have a play with the fibre with really.

I would have thought that sheep were the easiest option and probably the cheapest by a mile...? But if your land is wet you will not only have foot problems with any kind of cloven-hoofed animal, but also liver fluke. grass quality will not be very good either. If you are serious about livestock on wet land it pays in the long-term to install some drainage.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 08:50:31 pm »
The land here is wet and clay.I had a foot rot problem when I first moved on,used Golden Hoof haven't had a problem for over 15yrs,gave the rest of the bag away  :)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 10:05:45 pm »
Our angoras arrived with bad feet last year but they have since improved.  They wintered out with few problems.  My knowledge of the potential problems is that diet is very important - obviously they put a lot of energy into their fleeces and need good nutritious diet with adequate supplements.  You need to ensure they have dry standing areas or are able to keep them in in the worst weather.  But you would need to do that with any goat (and any other animal I would have thought if the area was too wet).  Also check the confirmation and feet of any prior to purchase.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS