Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home made chicken house, how to guide...  (Read 3474 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
home made chicken house, how to guide...
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:20:48 pm »
Ok initial disclaimer, i was part way through building 2 new chicken houses when someone asked this question, i have built to this plan before but it was about 2 years ago.

I made some mistakes in the cutting and i'll explain that in the relevant pictures, how  ever if you use the dimensions listed here it will work fine.

ALL MEASUREMENTS ARE IN INCHES UNLESS SPECIFIED!!!

You need;

3 x 8ft x 4ft exterior ply i used 9mm but if your posh 12mm is stronger...
2 x 16ft lengths of 2x2 tanalised
2 x 16ft lengths of 1x1.5 tanalised
1 x 8ft 3x3 tanalised

A bunch of screws and some power tools.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 1 shows cutting for first 2 sheets of plywood, hint don't creosote it till its fully assembled!!!
Top Sheet left to right is, front 36 x 42 (in image 36x48 needed trimming still) left and right sides 48 (front to back) 36 front edge 24 back side.
Bottom Sheet left to right is, roof 48 x 56, Nest box floor 16 x 36, back 24 x 42

Picture 2 sheet 3, this is where i screwed up!!!
Left to right nest box sides x 2 16 deep 18 front edge 14 back edge, nest box back 14 x 36, nest box roof 40 x 18
Then the screw up this should be a floor 48 x 42 i cut a second front including the pop hole!!! so make sure you cut a 48 x 42 floor and all will be good.

In case anyone isn't used to cutting large sheets of ply clamp a straight egde down and run the saw along it for best results...

Cut the following lengths of 2x2;

2 x 42
2 x 44
2 x 22
2 x 33.5
1 x 38
1 x 33

from the 1 x 1.5 cut

2 x 36
2 x 16
2 x 14
2 x 12.5

Save any offcuts they are needed int he final stages.

from the 3x3

4 x 24

assemble the nest box with the 1 x 1.5 batons like so!!!

position nest box on 1 side and use to mark an opening cut this out with a jigsaw, 2 inches up from the base means the floors will be level!!!

In my original i made the entrance the full size of the nest box but they always sleep on there for this one I have made a 10 x 10 entrance at the front to make it less of a sleep space. I'll report back if this works so feel free to do either.

Attach the nest box to the side panel, this is positioned for a left hand side (viewed from front) nest box but its easy to do it the other way round if thats better for you.

assemble the 2 x 42 and 2 x 44 2 x 2's and the 4 x 24 x 3 x 3's as shown, use big screws and don't scrip as this takes all the weight!!!

I did find on my existing one after it had been moved a couple of times i had to add braces to the legs, which i will go back and add to this one before installing in the run, just a spare couple of bits of baton to hold the legs square near the bottom.

Attach 1 x 22 and 1 x 33.5 as shown. 2 inches up from base, repeat for the side thats got the nest box attached.

attach the sides and the back, a spare pair of hands is handy here for a few minutes till they are all screwed to each other and the base.

I am missing a picture here but the 38 x 2 x 2 goes in between the 2 frames at the front top now to hold it all square.

the 33 x 2 x2 attaches to the nest box roof to make it a tight fit the roof stays in place with friction so take your time to line it all up.

nest box lid fitted

add the roof you want an even over hang on all sides, 4 big screws, 1 into each upright. Please note the bar at the front top from the previous missed picture.

cut 2 x 2 notches out of each corner of the floor...

this is where i realised i had screwed up my cutting, your floor should fit in nicely just resting there so it can be taken out easily for cleaning!!! Mine has an extra bit added to fix my mistake you won't have this!!!

Attach the door with whatever hinges you have, this is where i found i didn't have screws small enough for 9mm ply only and had to file the points off some to keep it safe!!! The pop hole is 10 x 10, keep the bit you cut out you need it for the door!!!
Hanging the door is the only stage I find I need a second person for, everywhere else a bit of thought and a couple of clamps and 1 person can manage fine on their own.

Attach a door catch, I use a simple cabin hook works fine for me!

using left over baton, the bottom strip attaches to the main door over lapping the hole by 3/4 of an inch to trap the bottom of the pop door, the top bar is attached above the pophole with a simple twist catch (spare bit of wood, screw and a washer to assemble) the other baton is attached to the top edge of the pop hole door itself to stop it falling through!!!
I can add more pictures of this if people need them...

Thats it all done.

When its all done then creosote it!!!

You still need to add some perches but i don't attach these i just make a free standing frame inside the house to allow for easy cleaning again i'll get some pictures tomorrow as i'm pooped from today.

You also need a ramp i just use what ever is laying around, ideally something like 8ft of 2 x 6 but use your imagination.

I'll take some more pictures when its in the run and in use and add them in!!!

Realistically its a full days work start to finish to build this for 1 person or 2 people could do it in half the time if you know what your doing!!!

Sorry its a bit long winded, hope its all clear i'm happy to answer any questions either in the thread or by PM

Happy house building!!!

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Re: home made chicken house, how to guide...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:57:09 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wonderful! Thanks very much bloomer. It's very similar to what OH has in mind so this'll be a great reference for him.

Thank you!  ;D
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: home made chicken house, how to guide...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:14:08 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: this looks great! Thanks so much for posting!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS