Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bl**dy crows!  (Read 1876 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Bl**dy crows!
« on: September 03, 2014, 10:01:25 am »
They have worked out that they can "harvest" my not-quite-ripe apples for me, and then peck them on the ground. In the process they have broken quite a few branches on the newer trees, and I am livid! Not only do I now have to take off almost all apples(and yes not ripe yet), but they have also destroyed the framework of a couple of trees by breaking off main branches.... and it's the same family of 5 that lives in next-door's (unused)chimney and has been trying to build in our chimney too...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Bl**dy crows!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:29:21 pm »

Are you sure they're not Jackdaws Anke?  Nesting in a chimney sounds far more Jackdawish than Crowish, as does remaining in a family group.  Keep a secure mesh over your chimneys - when they do build in a chimney they use a vast amount of twigs etc to build the level up.

I feel for you with losing your apples  :apple: and the damage to your young trees  :tree:  :rant:  With us it's blackbirds pecking the holes, and one particular ancient sheep breaking the branches  >:(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »
No they are black all over... but maybe there is a lot of ash in that chimney.... so they are in disguise?

This family has pestered us all year - stealing chicken food, just marching round the garden, and unfortunately neighbours either side still have bird food out all year -incl bread (as I find bits dropped into our field)...

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:12:18 pm »
My crows seem to have disappeared having devastated various things earlier in the year but something has done the same to my baby apple trees. Spend hours getting the formative pruning just right and some have been completely devastated (including one on which the leader has broken off above the first branch. grrrr). I wondered whether it was the turkeys because they've developed a love of apples but some of them are in areas they don't venture into (they don't dare cross into goose territory). Same - I've stripped off all the apples and most of the pears. Really annoying.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS