Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it possible to flush ewes without them scouring?  (Read 2397 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Is it possible to flush ewes without them scouring?
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:49:04 pm »
This coming weekend I was planning to bring the ewes home for flushing. Is there any way I can avoid mucky bums? Do I restrict them by electric fencing and move it up every few days or do I bung them into the field and let me get on with it?

Had worm issues with the lambs this summer, is it worth me worming the ewes  pre tipping or leave them to it? They moved into a paddock last Thursday which was grazed down hard them left for 2 or 3 weeks so has a little growth and yesterday (4 days after the move) there was 8 mucky bums out of 25..... Help me! !! Please  :innocent:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Is it possible to flush ewes without them scouring?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:57:21 pm »
Aim for a gradual change of diet rather than sudden?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:24:06 pm »
Give them hay ad lib, might help to dry them up if they are on fresh  lush grass :fc: .  Our GFD are much more prone to green bums than the Shetlands - maybe be a breed thing??

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:16:32 pm »
I wouldn't expect that level of scouring at this time of year. Have you tried an F.E.C ? Could give you some ideas.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 07:04:44 am »
Sorry I may have used the wrong wording, they are looser than normal but not liquid. It's just like they have been put onto fresh/ rich grass.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:55:33 am »
If they have come from rubbish pasture onto good stuff they will get a bit loose - I take it is green stuff coming out?

I would offer some hay, ideally bring them into a pen for the night so they will eat some hay for a few nights until their systems have acclimatised.

I have just had a good look at mine, I think no flushing necessary this year  ;D, especially the ones that didn't lamb thanks to tuppy being not quite up to scratch in the fertility department... but even the ones with lambs still at foot now do look quite good.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:02:18 am »
Put mag buckets in with them. Offer hay, move every few days if fields allow, having been sheared they should stay pretty clean as no length of fleece to form dags??

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 01:08:00 pm »
Sadly I have no barn at the new Farm so bringing them in sadly can't happen,  will offer Hay. It's just green loose cow pat like.

They were sheared in may so they have reasonable wool regrowth but they are just like hippos poo and wiggle there tails and a smear it across themselves.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS