Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This years lambs got in with a tup!  (Read 2327 times)

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
This years lambs got in with a tup!
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »
Someone left one of our gates open (it is a public footpath) and three of our 27 week old lambs decided to make a b-line to the neighbours manx loaghtan tup, jumping/ climbing two dry stone walls on the way! They can only have been in here with him for less than 12 hours as I checked on them in the morning.

They are all just over 40kg and in really good condition.... what are the chances they may be up the duff?!
If so, should I expect problems? What can I do?!

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Re: This years lambs got in with a tup!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 02:57:09 pm »
What breed are they?

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »
My girls are suffolks out of mules. Pretty big compared to the tup.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »
Well, at that size and age, they shouldn't have any trouble lambing Manx X lambs, so if they are 'up the duff', it won't do them any harm. 

I've no idea if the vet can inject/abort sheep as they can cattle, but if you didn't want them to have crossbred lambs at this point, that might be an option.

For us, it's too early for the ewes to come a-tupping, but perhaps it's not too early where you are?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »
I think it is too early - they would be due end of jan - we are upland in Cumbria - so pretty harsh up here at that time of year. We do have shelter as an option and can feed... but not ideal is it!?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:51:13 pm »
We're upland Cumbria too.

The earliest our adult girls have ever been ready for the tup was early Sept...   Most years it's the second half of Sept at the earliest; last year it was so warm hardly any of them came to the tup until mid-Oct.

It might be worth getting them scanned in December if you are worried.  If it was older ewes there might have been a slight risk, but it would be very unusual for lambs to come a-tupping this early, even though we have been having 'back end' weather (up until the last couple of days)!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bekka@dh

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »
Thank you Sally!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 05:42:17 pm »
If you definitely don't want them to lamb, the vets can jag them, but the timing is crucial - your vets will tell you, it won't be a problem for you, as you know exactly when the deed would have occurred.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS