Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fermented feed  (Read 926 times)

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Fermented feed
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:53:07 am »
I have been feeding my birds a grain diet for many years now and also sprouting grains on a regular basis. After much research i thought i would have a bash at fermenting feed for the fowl, gave them their first lot this morning and they tucked into with great gusto. Will be interesting to see how the table birds do on it. Anyone else doing it or have done in the past ?
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Fermented feed
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:44:52 am »
I haven't tried yet but have been doing lots of research on different techniques for fermentation as I really want to try it. I found with sprouting that I have ended up with my own technique that suits my set up best so I guess it will be a bit of trial and error. What method are you using for fermenting?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Fermented feed
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:29:27 am »
Mostly grain but added some layers mash to add body. Top with water to cover by an inch and a good glug of ACV,  stir so it soaks up the water and top up if needed. Stir twice a day and should be done in 2/3 days when you see it bubbling and smells sour. When drain off the liquid which you use for the next batch to get it started.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:30:59 am by Fowlman »
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS