Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewes horn causing ear to bleed  (Read 1881 times)

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
Ewes horn causing ear to bleed
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:59:28 pm »
I have a lovely Ewe with smashing round horns but she keeps knocking against the fence and walls etc and the point keeps making her ear bleed. This brings the flies and of course she shakes her head more and it carries on bleeding. She has been done with Spot On and sprayed with diluted Jeyes Fluid but what can I do about the recurring damage to her ear from this Horn?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewes horn causing ear to bleed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:46:26 pm »
 Happens some times , all I do is cut the end of the horns off .  you could try bandaging the ear until it heals but it will probably happen again 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:48 am »
I suggest getting the vet or an experienced farmer to do this - horns can bleed more than you ever thought possible.

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:14:04 am »
One of my rams had something similar this year.

I tried fly cream but it didn't seem to stay in place long enough.  Eventually I got on top of the flies with Stockholm tar.  Horrible smelly stuff but sticky as you like.  It kept the flies off long enough for a proper scab to form.  It has healed up completely now.

The obvious danger is infection getting a hold before you can clean it up so consideration should be given to using an anti-biotic.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 03:02:17 pm »
If you don't want to cut the ends off (it's not that difficult with right kit), tape a piece of foam pipe lagging on to the horn with the end just protruding beyond the horn tip. Obviously it looks a bit daft but it will protect her ears until they are fully healed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS