Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick hen  (Read 1548 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Sick hen
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:30:27 pm »
I found one of my young legbars wobbling a bit 2 days ago. Initially I thought either the dog had tripped over or or the cockerel had been over amorous as she couldn't walk properly and her wing was flopping a bit. Anyway I put her inside with food and water but she is getting worse. Seems to have an appetite but now lying on her Side and not capable of standing.

I have put some panacur wormer in food and tried to give her some plus put cider vinegar in water in case worm related. Don't know what else to do. No sign of mites on her

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Sick hen
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:40:07 pm »
How young? Has she lost weight? Doesn't sound good though - not had a chicken recover from that state :-(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:48:28 am »
That could well be Mareks (or the other thing that's like it, which doesn't have an easy name). Sorry to say but if it is, she's unlikely to get better.

I lost a few to it a couple of years ago but my flock seems to have settled down and become immune now. It helps if you breed your own replacements rather than buy them in, if that's possible (even hatching eggs, as they gain their immunity as little ones and seem ok, whereas if they catch it first time as pullets they seem to go down with it more often). Or if you buy commercial pullets they're often vaccinated.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:57:24 am »
These were home bred following fox attack. All others seem ok, red mite has been an issue but no sign on her. She is thin now. Might have to kill her later, don't want her suffering and have no idea what else to try. No point in going to vets as they don't seem to be that helpful with hens.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 11:50:14 am »
I thought it sounded like Marek's too. We had one years ago thankfully not since. Doesn't sound hopeful

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 08:48:42 pm »
My son has just dispatched her. Just hope it doesn't affect the others.  :gloomy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS