Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP-Shetland sheep with suspect ligament/nerve damage to front limb.  (Read 6296 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Hi,

I am asking as a last resort if anyone has ever had a sheep with this problem before. I had the vet out on Thursday to look at my sheep. He is about 2.5 years and a Shetland sheep and he is a pet. The vet suspected that he may have some shoulder ligament damage from a scrap with one of his fellow friends, so she gave him an anti inflammatory injection and said she would come back today to have another look at him. Since Thursday she has been back and given him some more anti inflamatories and some painkillers. She said there was nothing more that can be done, if he doesn't make an improvement. I have decided to give him till Monday and am desperate for him to make some improvement. At the moment you can see he wants to stand, however he can't push himself up to sit up and can barely weight bare on his front leg. The last thing I would want is for him to suffer. I was just hopeful that someone may have a suggestion or idea in which to help him get to his feet.

Any ideas greatly welcomed.

I really don't want to have him PTS :-(

Thank you

Emily

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
I had a couple of Shetland rams who had a fight and one came of the worst and was in a bad way he was down for three days before he got to his feet, eventually he came good after a long rest.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
I would echo giving it time, I've had 2 cases of injuries rather like this and both times nearly called it a day, and in both cases months later the sheep just one day looked miraculously right as rain and was fine forever after, which I wouldn't have believed.

Obviously if they are suffering then thats different but I was amazed by what time could do when that's not the case...

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Thank you for you replies. He is still lying down. Can I ask how bad your sheep were? He kicks 3 out his four legs. The injured leg doesn't seem to do anything :-(. He thrashes around for a few minutes before calming down and relaxing.  Your replies make me feel like there may be a small ray of hope for him. I hate the thought of giving up.

Emily

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
I don't think mine was quite as bad ie they could stand on the other three legs. So your vet might be right that it might be better to call it a day....it also depends on what facilities and time and budget you can or want to devote....

It's a difficult thing :-(

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
If you are certain that what you are dealing with is soft tissue injury  ie not a break then provided you can deal with his care then time  and rest has to be part of the prescription. JMO
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
If he's still bright and eating and can maintain a position eg sitting on his brisket rather than lying flat out then he will probably heal in time. He may jus be bruised but there could well be a subclinical non displaced fracture.  If he is comfortable I would be happy leaving him 6-8weeks to heal. Make sure he'son a balanced ration with regards vits &mnerals especially vitD Calcium magnesium & phosphorus. You could also offer comfrey etc. Even cows & bulls will often heal with time. At the end of the day he doesnt have to win the Olympics just potter happily around a paddock!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
If the problem is nerve damage then unless it has shown signs of recovery by now the chances are that it will never recover.  If it is the nerves then there will be no feelling in the leg, the muscles will waste away and if he gets moving about he will allways be dragging the limb.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
I disagree about nerve damage, it might not repair completely but nerves can, and do, regrow or reroute.

My old collie Skye, has nerve damage to his face, courtesy of his sister's habit of diving at him, mouth open - she damaged a nerve in his face. Floppy lower eyelid and collapsed ear. I cured her of the habit and over time he is much recovered. His eye is now fine and his ear stands up again, albeit a bit more floppy still than the other one but he no longer looks like he's had a stroke.

So I'd echo what the others say, as long as he can maintain an 'on his brisket' position, is eating, and can hop about if you get him up - I'd do this regularly -  I'd wait and see how he goes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:38:30 am by jaykay »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
I agree, nerve damage is an imponderable, but a week is no time at all.

When my Mum went off her legs last year, the surgeon said he simply couldn't predict whether she'd get any recovery or not; his operation would prevent further deterioration is all he could guarantee.  She may get no or very little improvement, or may get back as much as 75-80%, but it would be over a period of months if it happened.

That was May.  By July she could stand with a frame, August walk a few steps.  November/December she had a month as an in-patient at Stoke Mandeville spinal injuries unit.  She threw away the ramps when she got home and hasn't used a wheelchair since.  She walked into her wonderful surgeon's office (using sticks) to be greeted by an open-mouthed "Wow!"  Not a dry eye in the house. 

Now she never uses the sticks at home, just if she's doing a long walk.

Ingredients to her recovery included determination like you wouldn't believe, and support and belief from the family.

So, if the ram is comfortable propped up, eating and drinking, and you can stand him up to poo and pee and massage /move his legs, I'd give him a while longer.

We had a ewe went off her legs, we made a bed for her on a mattress of straw on a gate across bales, so she was supported under her belly and brisket but her legs hung down through the bars to touch the ground.  We'd go and make walking movements with her legs two or three times a day, and check she wasn't getting sores and so on, and she did make a full recovery.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: HELP-Shetland sheep with suspect ligament/nerve damage to front limb.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 09:15:46 am »
Thank you for all of your advice and optimism,  however I have just been out to see him this morning and he has sadly died. I think he just couldn't take anymore stress :-(

Emily

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 09:19:28 am »
:bouquet:

At least you know that you gave him every chance.   :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 09:38:40 am »
Maybe there was more stuff going on internally.....maybe he just wanted to take the decision so you didn't have to.

I'm sorry you lost him but kind of glad he went so you didn't have to make that call....

Hugs x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS