Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hampshire Down ram  (Read 1466 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
Hampshire Down ram
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:43:40 pm »
 :wave:

I am was wondering if a hampshire down ram would be too large for my badger face ewes?  An ideas?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Hampshire Down ram
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:54:06 am »
We put our Badger Face to a Southdown every other year, to give a commercial type sheep that sells well as a store lamb.  I think most Down sheep would do a similar job - the head is narrower and the neck longer than a Texel and we've never had any lambing problems. Some lambs have a BF type fleece but most have something between the two breeds, which makes the lambs more winterproofed than using something like a Charolais.  Lambs are very vigorous and have an excellent carcase.   

Depending on where you are, how many ewes are to be covered and when you want to lamb you could try one of our hire rams.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Re: Hampshire Down ram
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:55:38 pm »
I hope not!!! I will be trying exactly that this autumn for the first time. He will also be serving a couple of Jacob ewes too, and they are only slightly larger than my badgers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS