Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What space can a lamb squeeze under?  (Read 5215 times)

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
What space can a lamb squeeze under?
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:09:39 pm »
OK stupid question time.

I'm putting post and rail fencing close to my house as I think that it looks better than wire stock fence. I want the fence to look as unobtrusive as possible so I am limiting it to 3 rails. So it will look like this.

Now I know that I could just tack wire netting to it to stop lambs getting through but, bearing in mind I'm trying to keep it unobtrusive, I will probably run a horizontal strand of straining wire between the bottom and middle rail to stop lambs getting through there.

However, what do you reckon the height the bottom of the bottom rail (from the ground) needs to be to prevent a lamb getting under?  If the bottom is 100mm off the ground can they work their way under? What do you think, what is the minimum gap you think a lamb can squeeze under?

Told you it was a stupid question.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: What space can a lamb squeeze under?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:29:32 pm »
Henchard, that looks similar to mine and my lambs can easily get underneath for the first few weeks. So unless you want them escaping it sounds as if the netting is in order.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 03:34:31 pm »
Henchard, that looks similar to mine and my lambs can easily get underneath for the first few weeks. So unless you want them escaping it sounds as if the netting is in order.

Yes but that is more than 100mm off the ground.

The question remains what is the biggest gap a lamb cannot squeeze under?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:17:14 pm »
In my experience they will get under almost anything ........ and if you are limiting to 3 rails ... doesn't that mean there will be bigger gaps above ... for bigger escapees  .... also for predators and dogs to enter at ease.   So maybe not a silly question.   I personally would think a 3 rail fence with stock wire at bottom would look Ok.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:42:58 pm »
We have netting which in one place had a gap at the bottom just big enough to get my foot under in a welly. One of our lambs ended up on the other side of that!

where we want the fence to look nice but still be sheep proof we use netting with a singe rail along the top. The rail helps stop the fence sagging too so it stays smarter for longer but obviously more expensive that way!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »
Presumably you don't have dogs, foxes, rabbits or badgers in your area - they will all dig a very tidy lamb-sized hole under the fence in the night and you'll wonder where your lambs have gone the next morning. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:29 pm »
Presumably you don't have dogs, foxes, rabbits or badgers in your area - they will all dig a very tidy lamb-sized hole under the fence in the night and you'll wonder where your lambs have gone the next morning.

Exactly !

You will need really well tensioned horizontal wires, so the strainers at each end will not be unobtrusive.  It depends on the breed of course, but I would guess you would need the bottom wire at ground level, then subsequent wires at the same distance apart as sheep mesh, which has the bottom ones a bit closer than as you work upwards.  No further apart than the mesh.  Sounds as if you might as well give in and back the fence with sheep mesh.  If you use a fairly lightweight one then it shouldn't be too intrusive.  In fact I think the eye will tend to concentrate on the wooden bars and probably won't see the mesh.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:38:21 pm »
One of our paddocks has post and 3 rails,the new ryeland lambs went under the bottom rail and it was only a 12inch gap once they grew they came between the bottom and middle rails
We now have netting on to keep them in
Graham

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 03:23:54 pm »
We have post and rail with netting near the house and the netting hardly shows.  I think the green wire is more obvious than plain galvanised. 
We used larger mesh in one area - false economy - and the ruddy lambs went straight through it and caused havoc in the garden.  Bear in mind they can squeeze through the lower rails of hurdles :o and will def. push under any loose wire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS