Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First sheep  (Read 4389 times)

Chellebelle

• Joined Aug 2014
First sheep
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:20 am »
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice please. I have just brought 3 shetland ewes and 5 shetland ewe lambs which I pick up next week. Worming products seem to be in abundance and rather confusing!!
I am hoping to breed from them and cull later.
The person I'm buying from said I need clear and white wormers and possible an orange one, does anyone have any recommendations? We live in the south east as I have heard that this could make a difference to the type of wormer.  The land has not had sheep on it before.
Also anything else that you guys would recommend I need, and the best places to buy them.
Thanks in advance  :excited  :sheep:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: First sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:26:22 am »
I would either drench them with Oramec ((or another ivermectin type) wormer or inject one (I haven't used injectable ones), as the sheep are loaded into the trailer - get the person selling them to you to show you and do them for yo before they are leaving their old holding. (Take a bottle of oramec and a drenching gun with you, you can get syringe-type drenching guns of 20 or 50ml size from several internet sites - jut google drenching syringe). In order to buy the wormer at your local agri-merchants you will need your CPH and/or flock number.

Shetalnd adult ewes are usually about 40kgs, and lambs would be between 20 and 30kgs now. Dose on the generous side.

Then when you get to your holding preferably bring the sheep inside a shed for at least a week, take a sample of their droppings (just collect a bit of several heaps) and take to the vet for a worm egg count. Get the vet to advise you on any further action you may need to take.

It wold be a shame to loose the almost certain worm-free status that your land has now by turfing the new (and possibly worm-carrying) sheep onto it straight away. If you don't have a shed, just possibly some hard standing or partition a smaller area of land off and make sure you rest that for as long as possible afterwards.

Also check that they don't already come with mucky bums (esp the lambs), and speak to your vet about fluke treatment.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:31:06 am »
Chelle, you'll need to get products like that from your local vet, and he/she will also be the best person to advise you on which will meet your needs.

There are two things to be careful of from my limited experience though. The first one is to make sure the vet knows they are Shetlands and adjusts the dose accordingly. When we bought our Manx Loaghtans, the vet sold me one syringe of wormer for each sheep. However, when I looked it up, I only actually needed 1/3 of the prescribed amount for small primitives.

The other thing is to be careful of the quantities. I ended up buying flukicide for 200 ewes, which was firstly expensive, and secondly 98% wasteful. I went with it at the time since it was the only option presented to me, but in hindsight I should have done things differently, and possibly also used a different vet!!  >:(

Hope that helps!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:14:59 am »
If you have a very helpful vet they may be able to let you have just enough Group 4 wormer for the ewes you have. 

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:06:33 pm »
Would agree totally with Womble. Our local vet is brilliant and will advise re wormer and flukicide and provide us with exactly what we need amount wise to stop us having to buy far more than necessary.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 02:36:26 pm »
Speak to your vet  ... they will I hope dispense sufficient doses for you of the appropriate wormer....... if they don't ... change vets and find one that will .......... you will never need an off the shelf size wormer.  And use vet advice for what to use...
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

atlanta

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Northants
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 02:57:11 pm »
http://www.eblex.org.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Worm-control-in-sheep-for-better-returns-manual-8.pdf

Above is link to EBLEX site which has very good clear information on worming and the different colours.  This should help you.  Hope it goes well.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 02:58:10 pm »
Is there an approachable sheep farmer near you? They will probably dose your flock for a couple of quid. You can but ask and most folk are kind to newbies. :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 04:06:29 pm »
Is there an approachable sheep farmer near you? They will probably dose your flock for a couple of quid. You can but ask and most folk are kind to newbies. :)
  I agree but remember large commercial sheep farmers who have 'been around' a long time are not necessarily up on the resistance problem and probably still use white wormer every 6 weeks as its cheap. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »
  I agree but remember large commercial sheep farmers who have 'been around' a long time are not necessarily up on the resistance problem and probably still use white wormer every 6 weeks as its cheap.

I think this is improving considerably - with the huge financial losses that many areas have experienced due to resistance, many have been dragged into the 21st century now who perhaps wouldn't have been otherwise.

Also, it is worth bearing in mind that although the quantities you are talking about for your small number of small sheep, so many people would probably be happy to help, you are expected to account for where all your medicines have gone, i.e. your purchase invoices can be checked against your medicine book, flock records and medicines left in store, so if anyone is reluctant, they aren't just being awkward.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 10:23:56 pm »
Just do the simple thing, collect some dung samples, take them for an FEC and then worm according to the results, it's far more cost effective in the long run and better cover for the animals.

Chellebelle

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:29:11 pm »
Thank you all for your help, I have spoken to my vet today and he has been a great help re worming and vaccinating - heptavac P particularly. One thing I forgot to ask him was about the dosage for Shetlands, as they are smaller sheep I presume they would need a smaller dosage of it?

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 12:09:08 am »
heptavac p - same dose regardless of size of sheep

Chellebelle

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 09:20:19 am »
Thank you farmvet, that link just gives me details about heptavac but no price or option to buy?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 11:44:27 am »
Available at farm co ops, vets etc, but best place to get it online.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/heptavac-p-plus

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS