Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worms?  (Read 1707 times)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
worms?
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:25:26 pm »
whilst checking sheep and changing water yesterday i spotted some worm looking thingies in there faeces lying on the ground. are these worms of some sort? are they maggots that have come to the faeces after it has left the sheeps body? they didn't seem to be squirming. do i just need to worm them? if so what wormer?

i will call my vets free advice line tomorrow
Cheers Ed

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: worms?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:32:30 pm »
Sounds like tapeworm segments. Do they look like rice?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:48 pm »
i thought they looked a bit longer than grains of rice but shorter than a full tapeworm but i will look again tomorrow
if it is tape worm what can i do?
Cheers Ed

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:54:19 pm »
They will almost certainly be tapeworm segments that you see. My vet surgery told me not to worry about them although I did have to treat a hogget with a high count because it was causing increased gut motility, making him scour. :eyelashes:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 11:17:00 am »
Sounds like tapeworms.  You will need to worm them with a white category wormer, something cheap like Panacur will do (and that comes in small quantities).  White wormers are the only ones that will tackle tapeworm.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS