Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat house ventilation  (Read 2767 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Goat house ventilation
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:30:16 pm »
We have a nice house for our pygmy goats, it's really a wooden shed, with stable doors, and a wooden floor and it's been great since we got them at the end of June.
I'm wondering now though if it should have ventilation? It doesn't have windows and is really well made so there are only very small gaps where the roof joins the walls but I'm not sure that will be enough ventilation, especially in the winter when they'll be shut in there for longer?
Should we alter it by cutting out some ventilation gaps??
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Goat house ventilation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:49:50 pm »
Ventilation is something that will be checked if you have an inspection so it would be a good idea. Remember to site any gaps high up so the goats won't be in draughts.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:02:23 am »
Thanks, Mad Goatwoman, I had a feeling that we need to add ventilation holes.
Any thoughts on where the ventilation gaps should be specifically?
Do we  need to leave permanently open holes at the top, like actually remove a section of the top of the shed walls? Should we put a mesh over the holes?
What I'm trying to ask is, does it need to have permanently open holes, or would we want to close them sometimes?
Trying to work out how tricky it's going to be and what we need to do!
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:12:11 am »
We have permanent louvre-type ventilation just under the roof, easily made by a board lifted out from its place and a wee triangle piece of wood screwed in under (onto the upright supports) and then board replaced. Maybe a bit gobble-di-gook to describe. It means that rain will run off. Although snow does sometimes come in when the wind is bad. V rare, and goats managed well on each time (as deep-bedding).

The easiest way would be to drill largish holes into the top two/three boards and possibly mesh them up. If they spend a lot of time inside in the winter then having a mesh upper stable door is also helpful, and you can leave upper door open at night during summer too.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 11:43:21 am »
Thanks Anke. I understand what you mean so not gobbledegook!
Hubby suggested putting a mesh panel into the top stable door so seems like he's thinking along the right lines.
That would also have been really good in the summer, being able to leave the top door open with mesh to keep them safely inside!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS