Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: maggots found in sheep`s hoof!  (Read 8050 times)

kerplonk

• Joined Mar 2008
maggots found in sheep`s hoof!
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:18:53 pm »
  Help! i have found maggots in my lady sheep`s front foot Have tried scrapping the horrors out and applying tcp. Sheep is limping but seems okay ie eating grass.Any suggestions welcome as i have not experienced it before.
Thanks, Kerplonk

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: maggots found in sheep`s hoof!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:50 pm »
Crovect will kill them. You will be able to get it from your farm suppliers.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:52 pm »
Check elbow and up through shoulder just in case, they can track up when sheep lies down, if you already double checked please ignore me  x
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:29:56 pm by Hellybee »

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:57:41 pm »
Check back feet as well. Smell the maggoted area, you won't forget it but it can help when looking for them in the future but can't find any. Iodene and crovect the hoof. Its worked for me
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:37:37 pm »

Actually, to go a bit against the grain here, maggots are not so totally bad in a foot, unless they spread to the rest of the sheep.  They will clean out a foot with footrot (just as they can clean out infection in a wound, but as soon as they've done that job you get rid of them before they start on healthy flesh), so as long as you discover them and spray with Crovect, they will have helped the situation not hindered.  Then you can treat any remaining infection in the foot.
Maggots give most folk the heaves, but even they have a good side  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:31:18 pm »
Crovect nearly impossible to get at the moment. My Vet swears by spraying with a weak solution of Jeyes Fluid the when dry spray with a Purple Spray. Keep it away from the others due to Fly strike (if possible). I go round mine and give them a few nuts and generally spray them with the Jeyes fluid. Spot on is available and you apply 5 mls to the maggoty area and just watch the buggers jump out...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS